1. Dhamma Galleria
  2. Premium Banner Advertising

3. Premium Membership

Premium Membership

Dear all, 

Please note that all sales and advertising are to be done in the Premium Classifieds. Click to upgrade your account today!

Katha for Sharing

Discussion in 'Mantras Kathas Sutras' started by Dhamma Galleria, 1 March 2017.

1. Dhamma Galleria

Dhamma Galleria Premium Member Premium Member

There's no better way to change one's destiny than through one's own efforts in thinking good thoughts, speaking good words and carrying out good deeds. Whatever we think about, we bring about. Life events are neither positive nor negative, but it's our perception that creates the illusion of good vs bad, real vs fake, beautiful vs ugly...etc.

Katha helps us to create good thoughts, speaking katha will bring about positive resonances and energy into our psyche and when we feel good vibration, think good thoughts and speak good words, the positive messages in our psyche will prone us to make more positive choices that lead to positive actions, thus creating better karma.

We are all born into this world for learning and to cultivate wisdom, compassion and to achieve liberation by realizing the ultimate understanding that life is constantly in a state of impermanence. This learning is a continuous process through many incarnations. All have a different path to walk. All are at different level of understanding. All have their own freedom of choice on how they should go about their journey. But it's always a good thing to let positivity be multiplied in whatever ways possible.

Katha comes from the Pali word “Ghata” (or Ghaataa), meaning “speak”. If you think about the English word “spell” (as in magic spell), you will see that to spell a word is also to speak it out, be it on paper or using voice. This is where the word “spell” came from! A Magic Spell is ancient English for “a magic speaking” – Ghata also means “speech” but is generally used to refer to sacred chants and magic spells, as well as sutras given to us by the Lord Bhuddha.

Nevertheless, there are other uses for the word Katha; Dierajchana Ghaataa (Dierachan kata/เดียรฉานคาถา, in Thai) Dierajchana means “animal” and Ghaataa means speech – any speech which is not dhamma, or at least auspicious (speech which is useless or just cause confusion), is called “Dierajchana Ghaataa”.

Also, the word Dierajchaana is used with the word “Wichaa” ; Wichaa means knowledge (also used for referring to subjects, arts and sciences one may study, such as “electronics”, “occult matters”, “politics”, “wood carving” etc). Any “Wichaa” which is not leading to Dhamma, liberation from suffering and endless rebirths, and Enlightenment, is called “Awichaa” (Avicca, in Pali) (false knowledge). Any Wichaa which uses black-magic or non-beneficial uses, is known as “Awichaa” (Avicca – false knowledge, and Dierajchana Wichaa – ignorant science). Superstition is also Awichaa, and Buddha warned vehemently against it.

“Do not believe in what you have heard; do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations; do not believe anything because it is rumored and spoken of by many; do not believe merely because the written statement of some old sage is produced; do not believe in conjectures; do not believe merely in the authority of your teachers and elders. After observation and analysis, when it agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it”. (The Buddha)

I will be sharing some useful katha from today onwards. Some are from Tibet, India, while others are from Thailand and other Buddhist cultures around the world. Regardless of the origins of these katha, they are but different leaves of the same tree of Dhamma that seeks to bring about positive energy and outcomes and lessen sufferings for all sentiment beings. This thread is also opened to all who wish to contribute any katha to benefit others too. May all be blessed!

Last edited: 1 March 2017
    Theegg, xavier lee, Valen and 10 others like this.
  2. qrzpubx

qrzpubx Registered Member

Good indeed. Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu.

These are all mantras that one can use without initiation or transmissions via lineages as these are directly from the Sutras or at least some of these are open tantric practices that have already been given openly and publicly and has become common knowledge.

• Om Hanu Pasha Bhara He Ye Svaha
      Liberation through Seeing. Whether it is in Tibetan script or even in written English or any translation, the mere seeing of this mantra liberates from the lower rebirths and clears karmic obstacles. Ths comes from the Sutra Chu-lung röl-pa’i do (Tib.) which can be translated to English as Forceful Waterfall Sutra.

Links:
      - Precious Mantras | Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive
      - https://daibi.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/giaithoat1.jpg

• Ah Aah Sha Sa Ma Ha
      Enlightenment and Liberation through Hearing and Seeing. By hearing this mantra/katha/gatha, one can liberate from aeons of rebirths in the lower realms and gain Enlightenment by hearing and contemplating this.

Links:
      - Precious Mantras | Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive

• Om Mani Padme Hum (Hrih)
      Maybe recited with Hrih syllable or silently intoned internally or omitted. The mantra of the Kuan Yin/Chenrezig. Om liberates the Deva realm. Ma liberates Asura realm. Ni liberates Human realm. Pad liberates Animal realm. Me liberates Hungry Ghost realm. Hum liberates Hell realm. Hrih is the Padma/Lotus Mandala seed syllable. Om radiates White Light purifying and closing the path to rebirth in Deva realm. Ma radiates Green Light purifying and closing the path to rebirth in Asura realm. Ni radiates Yellow Light purifying and closing the path to rebirth in Human realm. Pad radiates Blue Light purifying and closing the path to rebirth in Animal realm. Me radiates Red Light purifying and closing the path to rebirth in the Hungry Ghost realm. Hum radiates Black Light purifying and closing the path to rebirth in the Hell realm. Now all six realms of Samsara are closed, one may take birth in the Buddha Pure Lands within a lotus as big as the wheel of a cart in the Pure Land's Lotus Pool and attain Enlightenment.

If one is reciting and feels tired, the merit of simply reciting Hrih is as good as Om Mani Padme Hum (Hrih) as the Hrih is the heart of the Mani mantra and also the heart of the Padma Mandala whose chief Dhyani Buddha of the Mandala of Lotus is Amitabha. Hrih invokes the entire Padma Mandala to presence including all it's retinues and protectors.

3. tupidxkenneth

tupidxkenneth Registered Member

good info thread[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Dhamma Galleria likes this.
  4. Dhamma Galleria

To be free from all obstacles:

Buddho itipiso bhagava buddho bhagavati itipiso bhagava araham itipiso bhagava samma sambuddho

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Gekko, Edward Goh, Dookie and 4 others like this.
  5. tupidxkenneth

can i use this for chinnaraq and devas?

6. Dhamma Galleria

Yes, it is ok to chant them before any Deity or Buddha. All Deities and Buddha in physical or material forms like Bucha and amulets are "metaphorical representation" of good values and positive energy of the Universe. They are constructive tools for humanity to comprehend and associate with Buddhist values easier and more directly, by first creating interest and appealing to us through the 5 senses. Beside blessing us, they also serve as reminders and show us the direction towards the cultivation of good virtues, serving as a channel to reflect the Buddha nature inside all of us. As long as the katha can help you in your spiritual cultivation, it is ok to chant before Phra Chinnaraj and Devas.

Last edited: 1 March 2017
    Newbie91 and 18insanity like this.
  7. SubiePan

SubiePan Registered Member

Thanks for sharing, Bro
    May i ask how many times to chant this katha and do we start with namo tassa X3 first?

Cheers
    :)

Newbie91 and Dhamma Galleria like this.
  8. Dhamma Galleria

Yes, may start with namo tassa X3, can chant preferably 108 times, and if you cannot sustain that long in the beginning, may simply chant as long as your ability allows you to. It is not the number of times that is important, but whether you are chanting with mindfulness, concentration and "heart" that is more crucial.

9. Dhamma Galleria

To increase your good merits:

òng sān bá rà sān bá rà

bō mǎ nà sà rà mā hā

zàng bā bā hōng pà dē suō hā

Can begin every morning reciting this mantra 7 times, so that all the good merits you have carried out throughout the day will be multiplied by many folds. It can also be used before the beginning of your prayers of other mantra or katha so that the merits from reciting or chanting can be multiplied tremendously.

Last edited: 2 March 2017
    Newbie91, KarmaWozer12 and nimrod69 like this.
  10. Dhamma Galleria

Itipiso chant (Yant Kropetch Katha)

The following chant is constructed from Itipiso and it is often chanted in temples in Thailand:
    [​IMG]

If you read from top to bottom, then right again top to bottom, it is Itipiso chant. The chant is made into another chant if chanted from left to right. If the chanting is done, start from the top left to the right, then followed by the second roll and chant left to right.

That is:

I RA JA KA TA RAT SA,

TI HAN JA TO RO TI NANG….and so on…

If one have no time to remember the whole chant, one can just remember the line that is in accordance to one’s date of birth. For example, those who are born on Sun can remember the chant A VIJ SUK NUT SA NU TI.

Chanting for blessings and protection

If one wishes to have genuine protection and blessings from chants or wearing amulets, one need to do one’s best to observe minimal the 5 precepts. If one is doing one’s best but due to the nature of profession or making mistakes, one can try again. Most important do not be heedless or take no interest in following the precepts.

If offering flowers (example jasmine flowers) and candles, may respectfully chant “Yo so bhagava….” (the beginning of morning and evening service).

The suggested chanting sequence (in brown) may be followed for chanting for protection.

Araham Samma Sambuddho Bhagava
    Buddham Bhagavatam Abdhivademi (bow)

Svakkhato Bhagavata Dhammo
    Dhammam Namasami (bow)

Supatipanno bhagavato savakasangho
    Sangham Namami (bow)

Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammasambuddhassa (3x)

Itipiso Bhagava (He is indeed the Exalted One)Araham (far from defilements)Samma Sambuddho (perfectly enlightened by Himself)Vijjacaranasampanno (fully possessed of wisdom and excellent conduct)Sugato Lokavidu (knower of the worlds)Anutaro Purisadhammasarathi Sattha (unexcelled Trainer of tamable men)Devamanussanam (teacher of deities and men)Buddho (the Awakened One)Bhagavati (the Lord skilled in teaching Dhamma)

Svakkato Bhagavata Dhammo (well expounded is the Exalted One’s Dhamma)Sanditthiko (to be seen here and now)Akaliko (not delayed in time)Ehipassiko ( (inviting one to) come and see)Opanayiko (leading inwards)Paccatam Veditabbo Vinnuhiti (to be seen by each wise man for himself)

Supatipanno Bhagavato Savakasangho (that which is the Sangha of the Exalted One’s disciple who have practiced well)Ujupatipanno Bhagavato Savakasangho (that which is the Sangha of the Exalted One’s disciple who have practiced straightly)Nayapatipanno Bhagavato Savakasangho (that which is the Sangha of the Exalted One’s disciple who have practiced rightly)Samicipatipanno Bhagavato Savakasangho (that which is the Sangha of the Exalted One’s disciple who have practiced properly)Yadittam (that is to say)Cattari Purisayugani (the four pairs of men- those who are in the four pairs of Noble Path and Fruition)Attha Purisapuggala (the eight types of individual persons- those who are with the mind of a Stream Winner up to Fruition of Arahantship)Esa Bhagavato Savakasangho (that is the Sangha of the Exalted One’s disciples)Ahuneyyo (worthy of gifts)Pahuneyyo (worthy of hospitality)Dakkkhineyyo (worthy of offerings)Anjalikaraniyo (who should be respected)Anuttaram Punakkhetam Lokassati (incomparable field of merit to the world)

Then chant request for observing 5 precepts separately with Three Refuges:

Ahang Bhante Visum Visum Rakkhanatthaya Tisaranena Saha Panca Silani Yacami,
    Dutiyampi Ahang Bhante Visum Visum Rakkhanatthaya Tisaranena Saha Panca Silani Yacami,
    Tatiyampi Ahang Bhante Visum Visum Rakkhanatthaya Tisaranena Saha Panca Silani Yacami.

(May I, Venerable Sir, ask for 5 precepts to observe separately together with the Three Refuges.
    For the second time, may I, Venerable Sir, ask for 5 precepts to observe separately together with the Three Refuges.
    For the third time, may I, Venerable Sir, ask for 5 precepts to observe separately together with the Three Refuges.)

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
    Dhammam Saranam Gacchami
    Sangham Saranam Gacchami

Dutiyampi Buddham Saranam Gacchami
    Dutiyampi Dhammam Saranam Gacchami
    Dutiyampi Sangham Saranam Gacchami

Tatiyampi Buddham Saranam Gacchami
    Tatiyampi Dhammam Saranam Gacchami
    Tatiyampi Sangham Saranam Gacchami

Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
    Adinnadana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
    Kamesu micchacara veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
    Mudavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
    Suramerayamajjapamadattana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami

Following by asking for forgiveness (this can be found in the passages for evening chanting)

Kayena vacaya va cetasa va
    Buddhe kukammam pakatam maya yam
    Buddho patigganhatu accayantam
    Kalantare samvaritum va buddhe

(Through the body, speech and mind,
    for whatever wrong action I have committed towards the Buddha,
    May the Buddha accept this confession of fault,
    that in future there may be restraint regarding the Buddha).

Dhamme kukammam pakatam maya yam
    Dhammo patigganhatu accayantam
    Kalantare samvaritum va dhamme

for whatever wrong action I have committed towards the Dhamma,
    May the Dhamma accept this confession of fault,
    that in future there may be restraint regarding the Dhamma).

Sanghe kukammam pakatam maya yam
    Sangho patigganhatu accayantam
    Kalantare samvaritum va sanghe

for whatever wrong action I have committed towards the Sangha,
    May the Sangha accept this confession of fault,
    that in future there may be restraint regarding the Sangha).

After that, one may take up the amulet, then chant

Calm down one’s mind, then followed by chanting:

I RA CHA KHA TA RA SA
    TI HANG CA TO RO THI NANG
    PI SAM RA LO PU SAT PHUT
    SO MA NA KA RI THA THO
    PHAK SAM SAM WI SA THAE PHAK
    KHA PHUT PAN THU THAM WA KHA
    WA THO NO A MA MA WA
    A WI SU NUT SA NU TI

(one may chant the I Ra Cha Kha Ta Ra Sa as many times as one wish).

After that, visualise the power and blessings from the Buddha spread in a light from head all the way to the feet. Then as wearing the amulet, recall with gratitude to the Triple Gem and devas for protection, blessings and guidances. After that, one may proceed on with the activities of the day or leave home for work.

If throughout the day one had broken one’s precepts, when come back, chant the 5 precepts again.

* Submitted on behalf of a kind-hearted devotee, Credits to Edward G.

Last edited: 2 March 2017
    Mangala, Newbie91, AA BATTERY and 5 others like this.
  11. tupidxkenneth

great, this thread is sp useful. thank you. sadhu sadhu sadhu........

12. Dhamma Galleria

Ti-Sarana

Buddham Saranam Gacchâmi.
    Dhammam Saranam Gacchâmi.
    Sangham Saranam Gacchâmi.
    Dutiyampi Buddham Saranam Gacchâmi.
    Dutiyampi Dhammam Saranam Gacchâmi.
    Dutiyampi Sangham Saranam Gacchâmi.
    Tatiyampi Buddham Saranarn Gacchâmi.
    Tatiyampi Dhammam Saranam Gacchâmi.
    Tatiyampi Sangham Saranam Gacchâmi.

Translation: The Three Refuges

I go to the Buddha as my refuge.
    I go to the Dhamma - The Teachings, as my Refuge.
    I go to the Sangha - The Community, as my Refuge.
    For the second time I go to the Buddha as my Refuge.
    For the second time I go to the Dhamma - The Teachings, as my Refuge.
    For the second time I go to the Sangha - The Community, as my Refuge.
    For the third time I go to the Buddha as my Refuge.
    For the third time I go to the Dhamma - The Teachings, as my Refuge.
    For the third time I go to the Sangha - The Community, as my Refuge.

adamcataleya likes this.
  13. qrzpubx

qrzpubx Registered Member

Tibetan version of Refuge

SANG GYAY CHO DANG TSOG KYI CHOG NAM LA
    In the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha most excellent

CHANG CHUB BARDU DAGNI KYAPSU CHI
    I take refyge until Enlightenment is reached

DAG GI GYIN SOK GYI PAY SONAM KYI
    By the merits of generosity and other good deeds

DROKA PEN CHIR SANG GYAY DRUB PAR SHOG
    May I attain Buddhahood for the sake of all sentient beings

Tibetan Short Dedication of Merits

GE WA DI YI NYUR DU DAG
    By this virtuous practice

<Deity or Buddha Name*> DRUB GYUR NE
    May I quickly realize <Deity or Buddha Name*>

DRO WA CHIG KYANG MALU PA
    And may all sentient beings without exception

DE YI SA LA GO PAR SHOG
    Be established in that state.

*Deity or Buddha Name can be used from one's own tradition or from the below:
    - Lama Sang Gyay (Guru Buddha - referring to Buddha himself as a de facto)
    - Chenrezig Wang (Lord Chenrezig/Kuan Yin)
    - Sang Gyay Menla (Medicine Buddha)
    - Arya Tara / Jetsun Drolma (Tara Boddhisattva)
    - Orgyen Lama (Guru Rinpoche - founder of Tibetan Buddhism)
    - Dorje Sempa (Vajrasattva Bodhisattva)

Newbie91 likes this.
  14. Dhamma Galleria

Received a request for a katha for for further empowerment of all types Of Sak Yants.

After receiving your Sak Yant Tattoo from a Kruba Ajarn (Meaning: Master/Teacher), the Yant can be further empowered by the devotee himself through he following katha:

Katha Pruek Seak Rooy Sakyant:

Idtipiso-o Pakawa Epini Haara Barami Sambano Mahaa Garuna Maha Banya – Atithana Itti Mano Mahitti Jidta Tip-Pa Jag-Khu – Pawana Itti Bata Bpanya Pala Yana – Aaraatanaa Ja Sattang – Itti Palang Itti Jidt-Dtang So-o Bpi Dti I Na Mo-o Put Taa Ya – Na Ma Pa Ta – Ja Pa Ga Sa – Sama Ta Sa – Arahang Put-To

Last edited: 25 March 2017
    Newbie91 and Gekko like this.
  15. tupidxkenneth

how often we have to chant this katha

Newbie91 likes this.
  16. Dhamma Galleria

As often as you prefer

Newbie91 likes this.
  17. trigg39

trigg39 Registered Member

bro jason,

i heard there are 8 different ways to chant Itipiso. To chant in reverse order(Itipiso Backward katha), right to left, down to up etc.. Every one for a completely different purpose.Could you please share with us if possible

Newbie91 and Edward Goh like this.
  18. Kratindaeng

Kratindaeng Registered Member

Thank you for sharing.

Newbie91 and Dhamma Galleria like this.
  19. nimrod69

nimrod69 Registered Member

Any katha for chok lap and Kah kai?

20. Dhamma Galleria

Money is unavoidable in any complex society, and money is not a negative thing, it is people's attitude to it that causes worry and stress. Money is not an evil word. Money can also be spiritual or divine, by powering whatever positive activity you want to engage in.

If use in a positive way, money is a great tool for helping both ourselves and others. Money comes when we have a clear intention of manifestation that specifically comes to increase the value we will bring to others as well as self. Without money, peoples' lives will be lost to hunger and poverty.

On the other hand, money is only a problem in life, when we become enslaved by uncontrollable desires, thinking that the only way to happiness is to buy the next thing we are wishing for. But we never arrive - it's an illusion of an oasis. It is the same thing with materialism: The idea that 'If I get the right stuff, I will finally feel at home.' But we can never acquire enough stuff.

You can be an awakened human being, and also make a living at the same time. When people say money is dirty, then they are just leaving it all to people who don't have any spiritual practices or values. That is an abdication of our responsibilities. Those of us with compassion actually need to go deeper into these arenas. With money, we can empower some very meaningful things in the world.

The Buddha himself has taught a mantra for wealth, and said that those who recite, read or listen to the dharani will be blessed by Vasudhare, the bodhisattva of wealth, prosperity and abundance. Chanting OM VASUDHARE SVAHA (pronounced as OM WA SU DHA REI SWA HA) 108 times a day will improve one's financial situation.

OM VASUDHARE SVAHA X 108 Times

It is a simple mantra, and may all who uses it be blessed and in turn bless others around them.

Last edited: 7 March 2017
    Newbie91, Gekko, KarmaWozer12 and 4 others like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)