Jail & fine for M’sian who filmed unconscious woman raped in Downtown East chalet


When his friends began the sexual assault and rape of a woman, Gan Soon Chai made no effort to stop the attack.


Instead, he began filming them from the comfort of his bed in a Downtown East chalet.

According to Today, after the 34-year-old Malaysia was arrested last year, authorities uncovered footage of the rape along on his phone.

There were also 65 obscene videos and eight videos without valid certificates from the Board of Film Censors.

One year and three months jail

Gan was sentenced to one year and three months’ jail as well as a fine of S$20,800 on August 13.

He will have to serve another three months and four days jail if he is unable to pay the fine.

He pleaded guilty to one count of making an obscene film, and two other charges under the Films Act for his possession of the obscene and uncertified videos.

The Straits Times reported that the incident involves three other Singaporean men, whose cases are still pending.

Employees at Club V5 Tycoon

The court heard that Gan had been working as a cashier at Club V5 Tycoon — a nightclub located on the corner of Orchard Road and Cuscaden Road — in September 2018.

He had been at a chalet in D’Resort at Downtown East, along with three other men, Yong Chun Hong, 30; Yeo We Chieng, 40; and Tay Boon Huat, 27, until they left for Club V5 Tycoon after midnight on September 17.

Yong also worked at Club V5 Tycoon, as a manager and bouncer, reported Today.

At 7:00 am when the club closed, Yeo and Tay persuaded Gan to return to the chalet with them instead of going home.

Picking up the victim

Yeo then drove the four men to Forum The Shopping Mall, where they picked up another bouncer and manager from the club, Yap Chun Chieh.

Yap, 39, was waiting with a 24-year-old woman, who according to ST was a patron of the club.

The victim cannot be named due to a court order to protect her identity.

Today reported that Yong pulled the woman into the car by her arm before they all set off for the chalet.

While en route to Downtown East, Tay, who was sitting in the front passenger seat, reached to the back and touched the woman’s breasts.

Yap and Yong also did likewise, with Gan noticing that the victim seemed to be unconscious.

Attacking the victim

When the group arrived at the chalet around 7:30 am, Yap helped the unconscious victim onto one of two queen-sized beds.

Yeo, who had left with Yong to buy food from a convenience store, returned and fell asleep on the other bed.

Tay then started his sexual assault of the woman. Yong also molested her before going outside to eat his food.

According to Today, Deputy Public Prosecutor Lee Zu Zhao told the court that at this point, Yap started raping the victim.

After Yap was done, Tay tried to force the unconscious and unresponsive woman to perform a sex act on him.

Gan’s secret recording

Gan, who was lying on the other bed, watched the attack before he began to secretly video Tay and Yap.

He was forced to stop the video recording when Tay noticed him.

Tay then took the victim into the bathroom and closed the door. Gan soon left the chalet and joined Yong outside, showing him the video of the rape.

Tay came along 15 minutes later and tried to delete the video from Gan’s phone, before they returned to the room. None of the three men knew that Tay had not successfully removed the footage.


At 9:00 am, Yap helped the victim get dressed and called a taxi to take her home. She made a police report and Gan was arrested on September 26,2 2018.

In court, Gan, who was unrepresented, pleaded for a lighter sentence through a Chinese interpreter.

He was quoted by Today as saying that he would “never do something so foolish again”.

During sentencing, District Judge Ow Yong Tuck Leong rebuked Gan, calling his actions “abominable”.

As a first time offender, Gan could have been jailed for up to two years and fined up to $40,000 for making the obscene video. Repeat offenders can be jailed for up to two years and fined up to $100,000.

Yap and Tay face charges in the High Court, while Yong is charged with using criminal force in his molestation of the victim.

Top image from Utsman Media/ Unsplash

Continue reading...