How to take good amulet pictures?

Discussion in 'Accessories & Equipments' started by brightlight, 30 August 2009.

1. brightlight

brightlight Registered Member

I found this from some where. It's from a bro. Let's call him Bro Sebastian.

<< from a source>>

For camera system, such as Canon system, both the Canon 60mm and 100mm marco lens are very good lens. Coupled with the current DSLRs in the market, it's a formidable weapon.

First of all, where equipment setup is concerned, ideally would be to be able to use a marco lens since it allows a shorter minimum focusing distance. You'll find that using a normal lens will only allow you to focus on your amulet successfully till a certain distance away from your amulets. Any nearer will result in your lens being unable to focus properly to achieve a sharp image. There is nothing wrong with the lens, just that different lens have different min focusing distance. If you do not have a macro lens, you can still take the picture, though the amulet will appear small in the photo. You can then proceed to crop the amulet image portion in photoshop which will "magnify" your amulet image, but this is best done using high Megapixels camera since you're actually cropping away pixels when you crop the image.

Next is how to achieve a sharp image. To do this, a tripod is a must after being able to get a proper focus on the amulet. Besides using a tripod, use the self-timer function on the camera body itself to avoid handshake, even if the camera is mounted on a tripod. If you're using a DSLR system, a remote cable release will be best. Else, the self-timer function can do as well.

Last but not least, proper lighting is essential in order to get the closest color of the amulet you're shooting, as room light is normally projected from the top and will cause certain areas of the amulet to be in shadow areas. For a start, you might wanna experiment with window light, preferably in the morning, as the light is softer. If you find your flash light too strong, you can either tune down the strength of the flash or use a tracing paper / tissue paper etc, to cover the flash which acts as a diffuser to soften the flash. Personally, i've not used a light-tent before hence i have no experience in that. A light tent looks like this: http://www.obnphoto.com/light_tent.html. Alternatively, you can DIY:http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent.
    Using a light-tent will require you to play around with the lightings to achieve your desired result.

Hope it might help you to take better amulets pictures. Amulets photography (if there's such a term), is actually the same as product photography in the photography field.

doctor46 likes this.
  2. sattha

sattha Registered Member

As metioned by brother Brightlight, the following items are indispensable when taking close up pictures of a static item. In this case it is an amulet.

1. A good macro lens is absolutely necessary - 50 or 60mm focal length should be sufficient.
    2. A sturdy tripod with a solid tripod head. I believe Manfrotto makes a tripod that allows you to take out the centre shaft and mount it parallel to the ground so that with the camera mounted the film plane is exactly parallel to the ground, and so the table holding the amulet.
    3. A large light source. Strong window light filtered through translucent white fabric is great. The shadows are soft and the details beautiful.

Strong frontal light from a camera mounted flash gives you a well lighted picture but lousy details and colour. A strong small light source gives harsh shadows and details are lost in the shadow area.

Use an off camera flash cable and shoot with the flash from the side. Mount an mini softbox on the flash (plenty of that in the market right now) to soften the light.

Finally, when you have all the equipment set up and ready, shoot a lot and experiment a lot. Practise makes perfect. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
    :boink::boink::boink:

3. somdejamulet

somdejamulet Registered Member

Share my semi-pro set-up.

[​IMG]

cia0ssu likes this.
  4. brightlight

Thanks for the sharing bro Sattha, and somdejamulet.

Come come, for those who use a normal digital camera can share your experience too?

what i learned from a bro is that a Digital camera of at least 5 mega pixel will give sufficient sharp images.

5. Cyberghost

Cyberghost Registered Member

Tks for sharing

6. Cyberghost

Cyberghost Registered Member

Tks for sharing

7. viceroy

viceroy Registered Member

thanks for sharing good information.
    trying to take good macro shots of amulet myself too, but to no avail.. :frown:

8. leslieviroj

leslieviroj Registered Member

OLYMPUS U1030SW, 10.1 Megapixel, Water Proof 10m, Shock Proof 2m, Crush Proof 100kgs. This is a good and inexpensive idiot proof camera.

9. brightlight

Share what you using bro. Then we can learn from your experience too, and see how we can improve it.

10. brightlight

Power wor. Water proof some more. What's the optical zoom like?

11. viceroy

viceroy Registered Member

i only using humble and outdated ixus 80 nia :redface:
    very very hard to take macro shots as i tried to take pics to let bros for identification :frown:

think first job is to hoot good SLR right?

12. leslieviroj

leslieviroj Registered Member

Very good for s-macro led. look at my pic. Forgot number on zooming, lazy to dig out manual.

13. GaryLai

GaryLai Registered Member

outdated ixus 80?!?!? Mine only ixus 40 ley.....:redface::frown::redface::frown:

14. M6190

M6190 Registered Member

I use Sony T3 nia.

15. GaryLai

Song T3 still got 5 Megapixel le... Mine Canon ixus 40 only 4 Megapixel.. :crycry::crycry::crycry:

16. sattha

sattha Registered Member

Honestly, you do not need all those MEGApixels just to post a photo in the forum for all to see. Unless you blow the image up to many times its original size it does not matter at all. You can use your 3 megapixel handphone camera and still shoot a decent picture to look at.
    :boink::boink::boink:

17. M6190

M6190 Registered Member

my camera all lost focus de la...

18. dennis yong

dennis yong Registered Member

i prefer taking photo at night as it will reduce the reflection of the room especially amulet with casing. i take my amulet photo with my Nokia phone.
    here is my simple photo taking set-up
    [​IMG]

doctor46 likes this.
  19. GaryLai

Bro, mine more simple le... keke :heehee::heehee::heehee:
    [​IMG]

20. M6190

M6190 Registered Member

No wonder all pic looks blue blue la... Can change color bo? eye sick le..:hahahahaha:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)