[Question/Help!] Help needed for info about fish liberation 放生 in Kuala Lumpur

Oat1

Registered Member
Hi, any Kuala Lumpurians here? I will be going to KL for a few days one week later. I will try to squeeze out some time early in the morning to go wet market to buy catfish for release. Unfortunately I don’t know KL well.

Need to find a market :
- in city area
- that has a non-saltish water river/longkang within walking distance from market.
- sell smaller catfishes

Any Kuala Lumpurian brothers/sisters can advise where to find such a market? Best is to find a market that fulfill all 3 criteria. If not, at least 2 criterias. There is one place called Pudu Pasar. Does this market fulfill these criterias?

Thanks!

Jasonbeyond

Registered Member
Hi, any Kuala Lumpurians here? I will be going to KL for a few days one week later. I will try to squeeze out some time early in the morning to go wet market to buy catfish for release. Unfortunately I don’t know KL well.

Need to find a market :
- in city area
- that has a non-saltish water river/longkang within walking distance from market.
- sell smaller catfishes

Any Kuala Lumpurian brothers/sisters can advise where to find such a market? Best is to find a market that fulfill all 3 criteria. If not, at least 2 criterias. There is one place called Pudu Pasar. Does this market fulfill these criterias?

Thanks!
Yes. Jalan Pasar. THey should have what u need.

Oat1

Registered Member
Long Kang no bro. Most of the longkang here polluted la bro. Later the ikan u released KO-ed.
so if i go Jalan Pasar and buy, where is nearest place I can release?

By the way, i was told that catfish has very strong survival rate. Even without water or oxygen or polluted water, they won't die so easily. That is why they recommend me release catfish.

yan1216

Registered Member
so if i go Jalan Pasar and buy, where is nearest place I can release?

By the way, i was told that catfish has very strong survival rate. Even without water or oxygen or polluted water, they won't die so easily. That is why they recommend me release catfish.
Doubt i could help but hope my questions would help you in some ways ...

1) y must go to a strange place where u not familiar with the terrain ?
2) die die must release catfish ?
3) release life is a form of merit ... but release life into a disadvantage positions where they are vulnerable to die faster than in captive would not be any better.
4) no other way to perform merits other than making yourself so headache and so problematic ?

Just 2 cents worth ...

Oat1

Registered Member
Thanks for your reply

1) y must go to a strange place where u not familiar with the terrain ? I just happen to be there and not deliberately go to a strange place. Every foreigner is not familiar with local terrain, but that should not deter anybody from visiting any place. Then we should only spend our vacation in Sentosa and not overseas. And even in Sentosa, how many people are familiar with the terrain?

2) die die must release catfish ? I am alone and do not drive and not equipped with pails and nets and oxygen tanks, so catfish is most appropriate and convenient. It is not “die die”

3) release life is a form of merit ... but release life into a disadvantage positions where they are vulnerable to die faster than in captive would not be any better. That is why I am in the process of finding out how to release. If I don’t release, they face instant death and no chance of survival. Even if release into disadvantage positions, they still have some chance of survival

4) no other way to perform merits other than making yourself so headache and so problematic ? Plenty other ways but in Buddhism, lives liberation is biggest merit. Once I receive info and guidance from locals, it is no longer headache and problematic. I totally don't mind the hassle

yan1216

Registered Member
Thanks for your reply

1) y must go to a strange place where u not familiar with the terrain ? I just happen to be there and not deliberately go to a strange place. Every foreigner is not familiar with local terrain, but that should not deter anybody from visiting any place. Then we should only spend our vacation in Sentosa and not overseas. And even in Sentosa, how many people are familiar with the terrain?

2) die die must release catfish ? I am alone and do not drive and not equipped with pails and nets and oxygen tanks, so catfish is most appropriate and convenient. It is not “die die”

3) release life is a form of merit ... but release life into a disadvantage positions where they are vulnerable to die faster than in captive would not be any better. That is why I am in the process of finding out how to release. If I don’t release, they face instant death and no chance of survival. Even if release into disadvantage positions, they still have some chance of survival

4) no other way to perform merits other than making yourself so headache and so problematic ? Plenty other ways but in Buddhism, lives liberation is biggest merit. Once I receive info and guidance from locals, it is no longer headache and problematic. I totally don't mind the hassle
In that sense, hope you able to perform what you wanted and be happy with that ..

Oat1

Registered Member
I meant no offense, but why chose to release catfish? catfishes are known to disrupt the ecosystem?
Please think twice...
I am alone and do not drive and not equipped with pails and nets and oxygen tanks, so catfish is most appropriate and convenient. Anything we release will impinge on the ecosystem in some ways. The ecosystem is not my over-riding concern. In Singapore and in many other countries that conducts land reclamation and also urbanisation, many eco-systems are already being distrupted in big ways. The impact of a few kilos of fishes being released pales in comparison with these major disruptions

yan1216

Registered Member
I meant no offense, but why chose to release catfish? catfishes are known to disrupt the ecosystem?
Please think twice...
Same lah ...

release tapole, release frog, eel, bird, or whatever sure got something eat something ...

Whatever actions we do, we just want the essence and good thoughts behind it.

The only concern i have is only not to disturb others with my actions and not to create bad/negative actions to oneself only.

Valen

Registered Member
Not arguing on Bro Oat1 stands in merit making but my own view on merits

Even if you offer one flower or one single rice to a statue of Buddha, painting of Buddha, stupa, or even visualize this, if there’s no holy object, but visualize, even you offer one single grain or one tiny flower, the merit is like unimaginable. One single grain offering to a statue, having offered to a statue, stupa, scripture, or any other holy object, even visualized or if there’s nothing there, visualized statue, stupa, whatever. So in that merit, the benefit of the merit you get, how much is contained is that all the happiness that you experience from beginningless rebirth, like that much in the future, like that much from beginningless rebirth up to now, how much happiness get experienced, now that much in the future, so all contained in that.

For me the biggest merits will be to treat ones parents well.

Oat1

Registered Member
Not arguing on Bro Oat1 stands in merit making but my own view on merits

Even if you offer one flower or one single rice to a statue of Buddha, painting of Buddha, stupa, or even visualize this, if there’s no holy object, but visualize, even you offer one single grain or one tiny flower, the merit is like unimaginable. One single grain offering to a statue, having offered to a statue, stupa, scripture, or any other holy object, even visualized or if there’s nothing there, visualized statue, stupa, whatever. So in that merit, the benefit of the merit you get, how much is contained is that all the happiness that you experience from beginningless rebirth, like that much in the future, like that much from beginningless rebirth up to now, how much happiness get experienced, now that much in the future, so all contained in that.

For me the biggest merits will be to treat ones parents well.
aiyo too convoluted la, don't know what talking you. I just want to find a longkang near pudu pasar. Can you help me find a longkang or not?

Oat1

Registered Member
Base on google map, nearby Jalan Pasar Pudu there are alot of lakes near Kampung Pandan.
i tried to use the satelite aerial view, but could not find the lakes "nearby". I will try again later tonight. Sometimes on map it may seem "nearby" due to the scaling, but could be very far away. Thanks for the un-convoluted info.