[Let's Discuss & Share!] Chris Sharing on - How to buy, pick, keep Thai amulets ?

Discussion in 'Thai Amulets & More Discussion' started by chriswm85, 11 December 2016.

1. chriswm85

chriswm85 Facebk @ SG Amulets ChrisLim

It's TGIF so today is going to be a short post on why silver amulets need to be wrap in waterproof case.

We all know metal oxides through long exposure to air or moisture. Metal especially silver amulets will oxides even though they may be put in original velvet box, plastic temple box or temple plastic if left for a long period of time (this we count by years). Another factor could be we take out the amulet for viewing, our fingers got moisture if direct contact on the silver will also cause the silver to start turn dull. Though we know there are good cleaning agents available it is best not to wash the amulet as it could affect its collection value.

The best solution when handle silver amulet piece is to send for normal waterproof case wrap or for temporary storage put them in Ziplock bag before sending for wrapping services.

Thank you for reading this post. Cheers.[​IMG]

Andrew33, Valen, Chan8886 and 2 others like this.
  2. chriswm85

Is cert for amulet really necessary?

The answer is yes and a no. If it's those premium amulet $1,xxx and above, good to have cert as a supporting evidence for authenticity. It will be a no if the amulet value is within hundreds or less as doing a cert will add and drive up the cost of a single amulet. Not all amulets need to do cert as a monk in his life time may release many batches of the amulets from the entry, mid to premium versions.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The two major and common certification company that we see will be thaprachan & sammakon while there are other companies doing the service as well. Please note that cert are done by humans so they can also made mistakes such as the year of the amulet or the batch edition as well. Though there are lesser heard cases of fake being end up certified but we shall not rule out the possibility here. Therefore the system of having cert is never foolproof as it is never perfect since there is a possibility of human error.

With that, one will still need to do their own homework before buying amulets with history and price rates. Amulet purchase should never been buy now then worry about authenticity later as it will be too late by then.

Terryk, Chan8886 and AA BATTERY like this.
  3. chriswm85

Start of the week Monday wish every one a good week ahead.[​IMG]

Andrew33, Valen, Chan8886 and 2 others like this.
  4. chriswm85

[​IMG]

How to wear your amulet if you have more than 1 piece?

There is no need to wear amulets based on the gods/deva hierarchy level.

The answer is to put the heaviest weight amulet you have at the centre so that your two other pieces left and right can well balance. Another point to note is if center amulet is big and heavy one should get a medium size thickness necklace so that the center amulet will not be flipping easily when wear inside shirt or necklace. The last point to note is the center hook use those so call M Hook so that your main amulet will stay better in position.

Valen and Chan8886 like this.
  5. prince_mk2

prince_mk2 Registered Member

where do u guys get butterfly amulet in BKK ? can share

and how to tell which one is authentic and fake ?

6. chriswm85

There is an existing thread already meant for butterfly amulets discussion. Alternatively use the search function available in this forum to help u in your navigation to find the answers.

Official butterfly click here which u can learn from.

Or you can click this recent discussion here which u might want to post your concern (questions) here.

Any other Q&A on butterfly do refer to this two threads for assistance as it will make the two threads more meaningful, focus and comprehensive for fans who are into butterfly amulets. Else it make discussion diluated and information flying around making it hard for any further references.

Thanks.

Last edited: 9 April 2018
    adamcataleya, Chan8886 and Valen like this.
  7. chriswm85

[​IMG]

Example of wearing takrut around wrist.

8. chriswm85

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan8886, Valen, weeyong88 and 2 others like this.
  9. Valen

Valen Registered Member

Nice watch::onionevilsmile::

Chan8886 and chriswm85 like this.
  10. chriswm85

Tips for newbies or existing collectors to learn about Thai amulets.

1. There are fake amulets out there.
    2. If not fake, it can be remake.
    3. Poor & worn in bad condition.
    4. Lack knowledge on the amulet that is put up on sale here.

Hence, it's very important to get a reliable amulet dealer who know the in and out with great reviews. Good amulet dealer know that good reviews are earn by being sincere, knowledgable and able to give appropriate recommendations.
    [​IMG]

Terryk, Chan8886, Valen and 1 other person like this.
  11. chriswm85

[​IMG]

Jing jok bring money to u [emoji4]

Chan8886, weeyong88 and Valen like this.
  12. chriswm85

[​IMG]

With the popularity of social media, we see many live bidding on Facebook platform selling amulets in Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Thailand. They may start from 0 rate to attract you to buy for its attractive price.

Saw a Facebook post that reveal that a buyer bidded an amulet but ended up with a different piece and seller doesn't respond back to any Facebook messengers (no after sales service). Consider as black sheep in the amulet community case after all.

Just want to warn buyers out there to be careful as it's very important to get from reliable dealers to prevent such bad experience from happening.

Last edited: 18 April 2018
    Chan8886 and Valen like this.
  13. chriswm85

[​IMG]

Valen and Chan8886 like this.
  14. chriswm85

[​IMG]

Terryk, Valen, Iwan G and 2 others like this.
  15. chriswm85

[​IMG]

Decided to share over what I had mentioned in another thread so good for those who have been introduce or follow my posts.

Not all amulets or buchas will have higher yield or ROI. Trend & cost affect the price. Not necessary older stuff is better than newer ones. And it also mean newer stuff doesn't mean that it never went through good consecration. The more items a person buy the chance of fakes or remakes will be there. Fakes or remakes derive from higher demand than supplies and hence require dealers to do their own diligence and integrity to sell an authentic item.

Amulets (not all) can be heavily traded in market because of its size and portability to be put in collection box or some seek for an amulet with rich history. There are more competitions for amulet categories as well. Buying an amulet with rich history meaning got appear in newspapers saving one life or with high reviews that type of amulet will have a standard market selling price. Just remember a monk don't make only 1 batch and 1 type of amulet in his lifehood as there are always other affordable batches.

I know one season fellow dealer who don't wear any amulets and worship his own bucha only. His belief is there are too many types of amulets and he has tried them all and find it confusing to choose a piece.

One thing that we can never take away them when we leave this world. It's good to keep a record of the item so that our successors will know the history as being in this field as I have hear many local collectors items end up in garang guni man/or given away to friends because their loved ones do not know what to do with them.

16. Chan8886

Chan8886 Registered Member

Very true indeed.. got money just rent it if it is original fron true seller.. nvr let the opportunity pass..

Sent from my VIE-L29 using Tapatalk

Terryk, Valen and chriswm85 like this.
  17. chriswm85

Last week I met up with a client who shared with me that he will pay thousands to ensure that the source is authentic and trustable. For me, I will choose to pass if an item is not within my spending range:

18. Chan8886

Chan8886 Registered Member

Heard China market is not spending thousand, but 10k above to get authentic amulet. Later market will booming soon as Chinaman will incress the value of the amulets including Rare or New

Valen and chriswm85 like this.
  19. chriswm85

[​IMG]

What is wearing vs collect?

Last year a master gave me a silver rian (medal) amulet as a gift and was in tarnished condition. He asked if I am
    going to wear, I said yes and the response right from him was to polish the silver rian first before even wearing. The reason is a clean and shiny amulet bring good luck and Swee Mak Mak.

Being a collector, I know that amulet once polish will affect its value as polishing destroy its original Aging and condition. Some collectors may think that it could be fake as polish will make it look too brand new.

Decided to share this point to high light that each of us will have different views when come to wearing, buying amulets. Despite the differences, we should always listen with a open heart and respect one another views.

Thank you for reading. Written By Chris Lim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. chriswm85

Didn't get to post due to busy schedule.

Last edited: 24 April 2018

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)