[Off-Topic] 89 things 1980s S’porean babies will remember

onionaut

Яegistered Member
#1 Kaka, MSG-laced snack from Malaysia.

#2 Sng bao or ice pop, only 10 cents.

#3 Hiro chocolate cake, comes in strawberry flavour too!

#4 Khong Guan biscuits from metal tin, in circle or rectangle shapes.

#5 White Rabbit candy, with edible paper wrapping.

#6 Soft drinks in glass bottles, collectible items these days.

#7 A&W Root Beer Float, went extinct in 2003.

#8 Hawflakes, compulsory treat found in all goodie bags in school.

#9 Kuti-kuti, a game where players tried to flip plastic coloured animals on top of each other.

#10 Classic board games, comes in paperback travel packs

#11 Hopscotch, where kids got active before Wii ruined them.

#12 Five stones, where the kid with the biggest hands usually wins.

#13 Chapteh, good for soloing if you’re the only child.

#14 Goli, or marbles, fascinated kids who wondered how the colours got inside and the stuff of creepy HDB ghost stories where imps are supposedly bouncing them at night.

#15 Playgrounds with sand, a place that will make do for pretending that you were at the beach.

#16 Panini stickers and sticker book, highly valued collectibles for bragging rights. Each packet of stickers used to cost 50 cents. Cool kids usually bought the whole box.

#17 Stamps, if you weren’t a collector, you might as well have admitted to being an outcast.

#18 Old notes, highly prized if they were in mint condition and still kept in plastic.

#19 Old zodiac coins, your parents have them and showed them to you. But they won’t let you touch it.

onionaut

Яegistered Member
#20 Phone cards, the higher the value, say $50, the cooler you are if you have them. $2 value cards are for chumps.

#21 Pop pop, fire crackers that sound exceptionally loud when played at the void decks due to echoes. Banned by authorities subsequently.

#22 Transformer pencil box, the more compartments, the more you feel like Optimus Prime. Some even came with a thermometer.

#23 Flag erasers, used for fighting with your friends. Never used to erase anything. True story.

#24 Pen-spinning, because there was no WiFi or 3G in class.

#25 White school shoes, where kids were offered so many choices in primary and secondary school: Pick either pure white, solid white or completely white.

#26 Alien Workshop, baggy jeans were a must-have when pairing with Converse shoes.

#27 Orange-pointed combs, where kids used to get punished for carrying them in their back pockets in school.

#28 Velcro wallets, made a lot of noise when peeled apart.

#29 Casio watches, the Nokia of digital watches. Indestructible.

onionaut

Яegistered Member
#30 English pop, synonymous with shoulder pads.

#31 Xinyao, acoustic pop with wistful lyrics about lofty dreams.

#32 Mando & Canto pop, Alamak Wasapa Pilipala Aipupa!

#33 Cassette tapes, an era where music actually costs money. And tends to get tangled.

#34 Yaohan, departmental store that sold stuff.

#35 Daimaru, another departmental store that sold stuff.

#36 Emporium, another departmental store that eventually went bust in the 80s.

#37 OG, the rare departmental store from that era that is still surviving after all these years.

#38 Scotts shopping centre, located in Orchard but is no more after it was demolished in 2007.

#39 NBA, shown on Channel 5 before.

onionaut

Яegistered Member
#40 Air Jordon, shoes popularised by the coolest man in basketball.

#41 European football, also telecasted free on Channel 5.

#42 Malaysia Cup, where Singapore fans actually turned up in droves to support the local team when we were actually winning matches. And you actually know who Lim Tong Hai and Michael Vana were.

#43 Mexico 86, a time when you did not have to pay to watch people kick a ball around.

#44 WWF, when Hulk Hogan was actually an inspiration and you tried to tear your shirt like he did but your mother will scold you.

#45 Old-style HDB flats, where all of them looked alike. And were actually affordable.

#46 Table tennis table, a time when you actually owned a table tennis net. Now you only have Internet.

#47 Stone table, where the void deck was actually a void and you could play chess on a surface filled with cigarette burns.

#48 MRT birth, a time when no one wanted to go Hougang because it was always so damn inconvenient.

#49 Trans-Island Bus, were rickety and non-air-conditioned. Extinct.

onionaut

Яegistered Member
#50 Yellow-top taxi, still plying the road, but most likely, you’ll see the newer, stouter versions.

#51 Sentosa monorail, a treat for kids by parents who thought they were giving the little ones the gift of a lifetime by bringing them to Sentosa.

#52 Old school car, gone and extinct because they’ve all been scrapped due to COE scheme.

#53 Motorcycle with sidecar, the three-wheeled slow coaches.

#54 Home phone, a time when phones were really phones.

#55 Pay phone, every coffee shop had one.

#56 Pager, possibly the most useless device invented.

#57 Personal computer, if you had one… well, most likely not. But this is Creative Cubic 99.

#58 DOS, where you had to key your own commands.

#59 Floppy disk, where you could store 1.44 MB of memory. What?! That is half a Justin Bieber song.

You guys should go open a retro shop. There one thing I hate about the 80s though which is fashion. But was still at the age where my parents tell me what to wear.

oricamate

Registered Member
in the 80s, we only have residential phone, but i had never felt the lack of comunication with my past fling.
Now both me and the wife have smartphone, ipad loaded with tango, whatsapp and viper, and still we hardly communicate enough.
ironic...

onionaut

Яegistered Member
in the 80s, we only have residential phone, but i had never felt the lack of comunication with my past fling.
Now both me and the wife have smartphone, ipad loaded with tango, whatsapp and viper, and still we hardly communicate enough.
ironic...
So true, with the advancement of telecommunication equipments, it seems like people interaction are drifting apart ::shrugsonion::