[Let's Discuss & Share!] Sharing Suttas

Discussion in 'Thai Amulets & More Discussion' started by Ben50845, 26 March 2015.

1. AA BATTERY

AA BATTERY Registered Member

http://www.forestdhamma.org/ebooks/english/pdf/Mae_Chee_Kaew.pdf

The years Mae Chee Kaew spent living at Phu Gao Mountain were a fruitful time for her meditation practice. With each new foray into the invisible world of sentient spirits, she gained increased expertise in the realms of nonphysical existence. With Ajaan Khamphan’s assistance, she strengthened her ability to explore varieties of phenomena within the many lowly but subtle nonhuman states of existence that lay beyond the range of normal human perception. These experiences were so many, and varied, that she never tired of exploring the spiritual universe. To her surprise, she discovered that some types of ghosts live in organized communities just as humans do. Contrasting sharply with the vagrant variety, these communities are governed by a leader, who supervises social activities and endeavors to keep peace. Due to the untimely fruition of previous bad kamma, some beings, having accumulated a wealth of virtue, are nonetheless reborn into the realm of ghosts. Because their virtuous characters remain, they are able to exercise great moral authority, garnering respect from their peers, who because of their own spiritual poverty, stand in awe of those possessing moral power and authority. In the ghost communities, Mae Chee Kaew found proof that the fruits of goodness were always more powerful than the effects of evil. By the power of virtue alone, one individual is capable of governing a large community.

Mae Chee Kaew also found that the ghost communities were not segregated into groups or castes. Instead, their social hierarchy adhered strictly to the order dictated by the specific consequences of each ghost’s kamma, making it impossible for them to hold the kind of prejudices that people do. The nature of their ghostly existence, and their social status relative to one another, was always the appropriate retribution for their past misdeeds.

Occasionally, the chief ghost guided Mae Chee Kaew on a tour of his domain, and described the living conditions of different types of ghosts. She was informed that the ghost world has its share of hooligans, too. Bad characters, who cause caused disturbances, were rounded up and imprisoned in an enclosure that humans would call a “jail”. He emphasized that the imprisoned ghosts were mean-hearted types, who had unduly disturbed the peace of others, and were sentenced and jailed according to the severity of their offenses. Those who behaved well, lived normal lives as far as their kamma allowed. The chief ghost reminded her that the word “ghost” is a designation given by humans. Ghosts were actually just one type of conscious life form among many others in the universe that exists according to its own karmic conditions.

Deva consciousness is another form of sentient existence governed by the laws of kamma. Mae Chee Kaew’s samādhi meditation introduced her to a rich spectrum of otherworldly experience. Sometimes her consciousness separated from her body and wandered to explore the heavenly realms, or the different levels of the brahma world. She visited the various types of subtly formed beings, called devas, who exist in a divine hierarchy of increasing subtlety and refinement — beings who have arrived at a fortunate and happy condition as a result of their good kamma. She met terrestrial devas — luminous deities dwelling in forests, groves and trees — who are born there because of their strong natural affinity to the earthly plane. Although their visible presence existed beyond the range of human senses, they were clearly visible to Mae Chee Kaew’s divine eye. She viewed them as beings of contentment whose blissful lives were often preoccupied by sensory pleasures. These enjoyments were the rightful rewards of accumulated virtue. As human beings, they had amassed a store of merit by practicing generous giving, moral restraint and meditation. It propelled them to rebirth in a spiritual heaven, where they lived a blissful existence, enjoying a variety of pleasurable sensory experiences.

Despite the devas’ virtue, their passive nature gave little chance to actively generate additional good kamma to extend their celestial stay. Therefore, once the devas exhausted their virtuous capital they could expect to be reborn into the human world, where hopefully their virtuous tendencies would allow them to replenish their supply of merit. In contrast to the ghostly spirits, who are trapped in a cycle of evil and wretched rewards, the devas enjoyed an upswing in their karmic fortunes. However, the devas do share one thing in common with all sentient beings: the burden of emotional attachments that cause them to be reborn over and over again — without any end in sight.

weeyong88 and Ben50845 like this.
  2. Ben50845

Ben50845 Registered Member

...[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

doctor46, CKTan, AA BATTERY and 2 others like this.
  3. Ben50845

Just an excerpt from the above book[​IMG]

doctor46, CKTan, AA BATTERY and 3 others like this.
  4. Ben50845

...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

doctor46, CKTan, AA BATTERY and 2 others like this.
  5. AA BATTERY

Couldn't agree more. Go back to the times when Somdet Ajahn Toh was around, his Somdej amulets were given freely to the masses or as a token of appreciation for donation. Now, these amulets became like stocks n shares, where it is being traded to the highest bidder.

Amulets should first and foremost be collected or worn to remind the laypeople of the Triple Gem, as in accordance to what the Mahanama Sutta teaches; recollection of the Lord Buddha, Dhamma, and the Sangha. Not for monetary gains.

6. AA BATTERY

Taken from FAQ: Is amulets or pendants necessary? – saengthai.org

THEN WHAT IS AMULETS OR PHRA IMAGES FOR?

Theoretically, it was meant to be a souvenir or memento because monk, they whom are not supposed to have any possession will have nothing to give you for your kind donations. So they made figurines or images of Buddhas or Arahants or other auspicious items eg yantras on metals foils…etc to give you as a token of appreciation. Practicing monks who are attained in the science of directing energy and matters (earth, wind, water, and fire ) enable them to infuse and transfer blessings with just mental power into images or souvenirs. Feedbacks from the laities on their experiences of miracles or improvements in their life, reinforced the Sanghas confidence that their attainment in such science can be used to enhance their follower’s livelihood and also protect them from certain danger. It has a chain effect, it goes back to reinforcing laities' faith in the Triple Gem and Sanghas’ virtues. Such great Metta acts like a strong magnet, drawing more people to temples and for some a start into discovering the Dhamma that Buddha expounded, converting mere skeptics to firm practicing Buddhist. Theoretically then or at least for me it was like that. Those whom I had shared with them my experience and journey into the Dhamma, started from wearing an amulet (not Phra Somdej Wat Rakhang, just standard phim Ven. LP Pern Wat Bhang Phra medallion) and hearing a beautiful divine voice that helped prevented misfortunes. That year in 1999, the same divine voice saved me thrice! It was then I was amazed with this thing called Thai amulet. But I am more than glad, I discovered more than just amulets, I discovered Dhamma which it’s values transcend more than a lifetime.

And the rest is what you are seeing now, it became very commercial. Sadly but that is how things are and that will also separate antique amulets and commercial ones. The science of endowing the amulets with blessing potents are determined by Jit (mind). I remembered Ven. LP Dam told us that this particular Phra Pidta ( will show you later) is the best in terms of purity and very potent of blessings because it was made solely for Kathina celebrations. To to be given to laities who donated Kathina robes. Reverend said the entire meditating session was very bright…very still…no thoughts about doing this for money at all. True enough, as I remembered shortly after Reverend passed away, an IS extremist threw a hand grenade into the mini shops outside (not far from) of Wat Mai temple. Everyone ran helter-skelter but it failed to blow-up. That is the barami of Pothan Dam. Now that I am writing about Than (him), I miss Pothan Dam. Very attained but yet very, very humble.

7. Ben50845

...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. EmbraceBuddhism

EmbraceBuddhism Registered Member

LP Jumnien is good. Nice phayant you have there.

#TheQuoteGuy

CKTan and Ben50845 like this.
  9. Ben50845

...[​IMG]

10. Ben50845

...[​IMG]

11. Ben50845

A candid commentary of unmindful behavior of laypeople in temples and monasteries[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Eojmil likes this.
  12. nitro0604

nitro0604 Registered Member

U sure u using this casing? Wait if you accidentally dropped, becomes a classic case of "The Miracle of Psychic Power"

"Having been one he becomes many..."

Eojmil, EmbraceBuddhism and Ben50845 like this.
  13. Ben50845

Source[​IMG]

14. Ben50845

No problems. My son dropped his. Nothing happened. I think the rubber acts like a shock absorber. Waterproof casing dont have the rubber.

Eojmil, EmbraceBuddhism and nitro0604 like this.
  15. nitro0604

His KKP is strong...:D

Eojmil, EmbraceBuddhism and Ben50845 like this.
  16. Ben50845

It gets better. He lost a certain piece in school (not Rocky) and it went home.

17. nitro0604

Arh...that will be Klew Klard. Buddha's probably bored in school since he's already all-knowing...::onionevilsmile::

Eojmil and Ben50845 like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)