1. Premium Banner Advertising

2. Premium Membership

Premium Membership

Dear all, 

Please note that all sales and advertising are to be done in the Premium Classifieds. Click to upgrade your account today!

[Mainstream] share with me your cleaning approach.

Discussion in 'Altar Galleria' started by unix06, 1 July 2016.

1. Alfie Yeo

Alfie Yeo Registered Member

well bro thanks for ur comments and i think u still hvn't answer my key point questions and still repeating the same questions. well any way our aim is elightenment end of the days and goodluck to you .

2. 18insanity

18insanity Registered Member

Hi bro.. very interested to hear what u hv to share..
    Dun take too long ah?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

3. shao_ken

shao_ken Registered Member

Mostly my mum just "seek permission" by "informing" the guan yin on my home's altar..

4. natas

natas Registered Member

It is funny that u guys can define thai buddhism and buddhism.... Not trying to add flame but it should be Thai culture, belief or ways.... As in dun want to share katha, we respect the decision. For me Buddhism is sharing the knowledge, the teaching.... if not Buddha will not use his whole life teaching others. He should keep everything to himself or only to his followers.

As in cleaning, why so paticular about it? Just move the bucha, clean them and put them back. Of cause do it in respect.... buddha or whatever will not be so small gas, dun worry.

Alfie Yeo likes this.
  5. 18insanity

18insanity Registered Member

It's not to define the two but is to differentiate. The reason because of what bro natas just said- a vast difference in cultures n beliefs and even practices.

As for kathas..
    I am not sure if there's a kata that's 'one size fit' all cos all deities on each one's altars are not the same. There's mainstream and non mainstream deities, deva, and many other spirit based entities in thai culture as mentioned.
    Due to the many different kinds of practices, methods of consecration buchas one can never be sure of the procedure n consequence of the act of frequent moving and cleaning of buchas.
    It's only right to seek advice from a reputable master in the respective category of deities one pray to ensure.
    Rather than to say in general that's it's ok for all regardless of what one pray to without further clarification or use 'no need pantang' to swipe everyone of the boat.
    It's ok to state what one's preference as bro natas did.
    But to condemned other's belief
    as misleading is not right.

Hence the debate earlier on..

So. Is seeking frm a master for advice groundless n misleading as bro alfie unresponsiblely said i am? I hope not..

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Last edited: 4 July 2016
  6. Khanti555

Khanti555 Registered Member

Just to make sure to everyone once again, it is a different subject matter of cleaning the altar and cleaning the Buchas. Cleaning the altar can range from wiping (wet or dry) to dusting. Cleaning of Buchas is something not so recommended. Why is it not so recommended? It is because of the material of the Buchas, the materials used for the invitation of the protectors or spirits(barang) into the Buchas, the materials used for the blessing of the Buchas. We may not be able to witness what the AJ or LP did to bless the Buchas, it maybe holy white powders, gold foils which still can be easily seen and avoid cleaning. There may be other materials used which is not easily seen such as oils, herbs or even the clay itself in which the Bucha was made. Our hands (which contains oil and sweat) and even the tools used to clean the Buchas may deteriorate away the materials. Careless cleaning may even break or deform the Buchas (such as clay or porcelain). Wet cleaning on Bronze Buchas may cause faster oxidation.

I had once made the mistake of cleaning a Phra Rahu one-eye coconut cause it was dirty. And I received a lashing from my master for cleaning away the most potent part of its power.

What we want is to avoid all these and retain the original condition of the Buchas as the day it was rented from the AJ/LP/dealer. At most, only light dusting of the Buchas is done, without even touch the Buchas.

Most people got it right. Respect and inform the Devas, Arahants, Bodhisattvas and Buddhas. Yes, definitely they won't mind. But as I had mentioned before, a properly empowered Buchas won't be dirty easily, especially at the face. It already naturally tells you it can self-maintain, no additional cleaning is required.

In temple, there are annual cleaning and yes, there are rituals for it.

Do not be confused that not reciting Kathas doesn't make a Buchas less powerful or no respect. They know whether an individual have or have no respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18insanity likes this.
  7. Khanti555

Khanti555 Registered Member

Now to share a bit on katha. Katha are words of power and for the mainstream, it is all from Sutras. It is right there, you need to just pick out the correct verse and use it. For example Itipiso, is a powerful katha.

There is a katha for most of the things we partake, from simple veneration of the Buddha in the form of Namo Tassa x3, taking refuge in the Triple Gems and also taking of 5 precepts and 8 precepts for the layman or householder.

And then there are special kathas. Special kathas are formulated by LP or AJ which they will only impart if you belong to their lineages, such as you need to waikru under them and they recognise you as a luksit under them with a sangkapit(cloth draped over left shoulders with yants). And of course most of the teachings are imparted one on one.

Recitation of kathas not only bring forth power from your breath, but done correctly should make a person transform his/her mind to be more positive, motivated and happy. This will in turn gain faith and confidence and it always works this way, the more faith, the more powerful your Buchas are.

18insanity likes this.
  8. - Gene K -

- Gene K - Registered Member

I believe calmness and keeping silent is bliss sometimes. This is a very subjective and sensitive matter much like the never ending debate of liberal vs republic. All opinions are to be evaluated and applied accordingly as we see fit. We buddhism must know the core of buddha's teaching and buddhism is one of the most peaceful religion on earth ;)

9. kleentage

kleentage Registered Member

Its good to clean them. shows your dedication and respect ::oniongoodjob::

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)