1. Premium Membership

Premium Membership

Dear all, 

Please note that all sales and advertising are to be done in the Premium Classifieds. Click to upgrade your account today!
  2. Virtual Shopfront AmuletForums.com

Virtual Shopfront

3. Freebies/Giveaway

AmuletForums Notice

Members who wish to give away their amulets, buchas, etc for free please use the Freebies/Giveaways Sub Forums

Freebies/Giveaways

[Recommend] Prayer Wheel - A Convenient Skillful Method to Accumulate Immeasurable Merits !

Discussion in 'General Buddhism' started by wicha, Mar 15, 2013.

1. wicha

wicha Registered Member

[​IMG]

Benefits of Making Prayer Wheels
    by Lama Zopa Rinpoche

The Source of the Practice of the Mani Wheel

As the great master Nagarjuna was predicted by the Great Compassionate One: “In the naga’s country in the palace of the King of Nagas, the bodhisattva possesses one very powerful Dharma wheel. Just by seeing, hearing, touching, or remembering the Dharma wheel, you will quickly be liberated from the suffering of the lower realms. With this you will produce extensive works for sentient beings.”

The Limitless Light Buddha Amitabha said: “For the benefit of sentient beings of the degenerate age, I have explained the benefits of the mani wheel. The one who practices while turning equals the fortune of the thousand buddhas.”

The Founder Savior, the unequalled Shakya King, told the bodhisattva Dripa Namsil: “It is more beneficial to turn the Dharma wheel one time than [to be] a meditator of highest capacity who engages in one-year retreat on the essence meaning of mantra. It is more beneficial than [to be] a middle capacity meditator who does retreat for seven years or a lower capacity meditator who does a nine-year retreat.”

Manjushri said: “The four protectors and the ten direction guardians will protect you from all obstacles, from all directions and corners. The negative karma of the lower realms, the five uninterrupted actions, and the ten non-virtuous actions are purified. You will travel to all the pure lands of the buddhas, and in the Blissful Pure Land. You will be reborn on the lion’s throne in the lotus heart of the Blissful Pure Land. You will perform the actions of all the buddhas in all directions.”

Manjushri said: “This great Dharma wheel protects you from all the harm-givers, devas, spirit possessions, from the nagas down below, from Steno in the middle, and from the multitude of yakshas.”

From The Peerless Wish-Granting Jewel Tantra: “The person who turns this wheel which possesses OM MANI PADME HUM will be blessed by all the gurus, the deities will grant realizations, those gone to bliss will pay attention to him or her, and the Dharma protectors will eliminate all sobstacles.”

From The Will of the Action of the Compassionate Eye Loving One: “Each time you turn this OM MANI PADME HUM Dharma wheel equals the number (of the mantra) of the approximation retreat.”

The benefits of establishing the Dharma wheel in earth, water, fire, and wind: “When you put this great wheel OM MANI PADME HUM up in the wind, all those sentient beings who are touched by the wind and all those migrators abiding in the direction of the wind will be liberated from the sufferings of the lower realms. When you place the Dharma wheel in the fire, any sentient being who smells the smoke and all those migrators who see the light of the fire will be liberated from the sufferings of the lower realms. If you place the Dharma wheel in the ground, all those migrator beings who receive the dust and the sentient beings abiding in that ground will be liberated from the sufferings of the lower realms. If you place the Dharma wheel in water, all those sentient beings abiding and drinking the water will be liberated from the sufferings of the lower realms.”

Therefore, the fortunate capable beings turn the great Dharma wheel upright: the highest intelligent person will achieve enlightenment and work for sentient beings; the middle capable being will achieve fortunate rebirth and join the holy Dharma; and the lowest capable being will achieve good rebirth, separate from the ten non-virtuous actions.

If you place the Dharma wheel at home and turn it, the migrator beings abiding in that house will be liberated, and the home will become similar to the Potala (Pure Land of Chenrezig). At the time of death, if you place the Dharma wheel with OM MANI PADME HUM next to your head and make requests with intense devotional mind, without need of practicing powa (transference of consciousness) your consciousness will be transferred in one instant to the heart of the Compassionate One. Therefore, without qualms of a two-pointed mind in this profound supreme Dharma wheel, one should cherish it, build the Dharma wheel with perseverance, and turn it with an intense wish.

The Savior Loving One Maitreya said: “If you offer good divine robes to the profound Dharma wheel, you will receive good clothing for 500 lifetimes. Due to the merits of having offered the hook to the profound Dharma wheel, you will be able to go through all the paths of liberation. By the merits of offering the hanging weight, you will become the savior of all migrator beings. You will accumulate more merits than having recited 100,000 times 10,000,000 mantras. The titans and the harm-givers will prostrate to you. You will control human beings, wealth, and food. All your connections will become meaningful, and sentient beings touched by your shadow will be liberated from the lower realms.”

If you offer various needs – food and so forth – to this Dharma wheel with OM MANI PADME HUM, you will become the thousand wheel–turning Dharma king, enjoying whatever you wish. And at the end you will meet the Superior Compassionate Eye Looking One. For those fortunate beings who reveal this Dharma wheel possessing OM MANI PADME HUM to others, or explain or spread the teachings of this wheel, it is like spreading the teachings of the buddhas.

From The Tantra Possessing the Lotus Garland: “In short, all the accumulation of vices, defeats, downfalls, and so forth will be purified without effort. One is liberated just by seeing and hearing.”

From The Tantra of the Circle of Six Thousand: “Even for the person who turns this precious wheel, any sentient being who sees, hears, remembers, or touches him or her completes the merits, purifies defilements, and achieves enlightenment.”

From The Sutra of the Great Chu Lung: “By the merits generated by offering a golden pinnacle (to the Dharma wheel), one will receive perfect enjoyments for eons. Due to the merits of having offered services, one will possess a good heart and clear mind wisdom. The person who turns the Dharma wheel will become the son of the thousand buddhas, the guide of all migrators. Thus is explained by the Buddha. When death comes, place the Dharma wheel at your crown and you won’t need to practice powa. When you carry the Dharma wheel and meet other sentient beings, even those who have killed their father or mother will be liberated. Even the sentient beings who see the wheel on the bridge will be liberated.”

Dictated to Fabrizio Champa Palgye in Dharamsala March 1998, for Richard Gere who came for His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s Losar teachings.

2. wicha

wicha Registered Member

Benefits of Spinning the Prayer Wheel - Immeasurable Merits !!!

[​IMG]

Below are excerpts from teachings our precious guru, HE Garchen Rinpoche, has given over the years on the practice of spinning prayer wheels.

HE Garchen Rinpoche Guru Yoga Teachings 2009 at Garchen Institute

Benefits of Spinning the Prayer Wheel

"There are some practitioners who have a strong aspiration to engage in practice and although they really want to practice, due to some karmas they have accumulated in the past, they have not the opportunity to practice and they are under the power of someone else and so they cannot practice.

For them it becomes very important to look for skillful means to engage in practices. For example, if you spin a prayer wheel which is very easy to spin, all the virtues of body speech and mind are contained. There is a physical virtue, a virtue of speech and a virtue of mind when you spin the prayer wheel.

For example, when you hold it in your hands the difficulty of spinning the prayer wheel is the virtue of the body. Then the prayer wheel is filled with mantras and so however many mantras are in that prayer wheel, you will receive the benefits of verbal prostration. So then these mantras as you spin it contain all of the deities and their mandalas. And these mantras are radiating and merging to the outside and fall down like rainfall and pervade all sentient beings mindstreams through the power of love and compassion of the one who is spinning the prayer wheel. So that is the mental prostration. Also it is a mental training of mindfulness because if one spins the prayer wheel and becomes distracted then one will just lose the prayer wheel. So all of the virtues of body, speech and mind are contained within the practice of spinning the prayer wheel. So it is a very beneficial practice.

It is important to understand the benefits of spinning a prayer wheel. And because they are of so much great benefit, Khenpo Jigme Phuntsok has ordered 10,000 prayer wheels to be distributed in Taiwan. And I also brought them to this country because I feel the people of this country also need the prayer wheel. So the benefits are inconceivable. So there are some people who make them maybe a little bit too big and when they are too big, maybe it isn’t so good because then one will have no wish to spin them all the time because it is too difficult to spin them all the time. So, it is better to use a smaller prayer wheel and then you can always spin the prayer wheel, you will not get tired of it. And also it is benefitting your body – it is good for your body. So basically all the body, speech and mind virtues are contained in spinning the prayer wheel.

So continuously without interruption you are accumulating virtue of body speech and mind. You can even keep the prayer wheel in your hand at night when you go to sleep. So this way day and night you are accumulating great merit. When we talk about it in terms of merit, there are some who don’t really want to spin a prayer wheel, but still they want the merit. So for example, somebody working for a hundred dollars a day is working very hard because in the end one receives the hundred dollars of the day, because one receives something. But in the same way, what we want to receive is the money for future lifetimes and that is the merit. We will take merit with us from lifetime to lifetime. So these are the benefits of spinning the prayer wheel.

And when we do so, we do so with a beneficial intention and so we also accumulate meritorious actions of generosity, moral discipline and patience. Because the one who is spinning the prayer wheel, if you spin the prayer wheel with bodhicitta, at the same time you are accumulating generosity, moral discipline and patience. And so depending on moral discipline you will achieve a precious human incarnation. Depending on patience you will achieve a long life and a pleasing appearance and you will encounter harmonious friends. Then depending on generosity you will achieve prosperity and wealth. All of these practices have their root in loving kindness and compassion, the intention to benefit sentient beings. So we all do want to accumulate merit and we just don’t know how to accumulate merit. We want the merit but we don’t know how to accumulate the merit. And so as it is said if you want to know how you were in the past, look at your present body and if you want to know your future, look at your present actions. It is just that we don’t know the means to accumulate merit. And so spinning this prayer wheel is an excellent means to accumulate merit through body speech and mind continuously.

And then it is also said that the one who is spinning the prayer wheel is benefitting all the beings surrounding one. It is said that any being embodied or disembodied who sees such a prayer wheel will not be reborn in the lower realms and will be reborn temporarily in the higher realms and experience the happiness of the gods and humans. So the prayer wheel is truly very precious. Continuously we accumulate causes for merit. So it is just that people don’t know how to accumulate merit that they don’t want to spin a prayer wheel. But when we engage in such action and cultivate loving kindness and compassion, then this will lead to a decrease of our self grasping and ultimately we will attain liberation depending on such practices. So these teachings also were spoken by the unmistaken speech of the Buddha himself. So the benefits of spinning a prayer wheel are really inconceivable and they contain the virtuous actions of body speech and mind.

So when you think about it, I am always spinning the prayer wheel, also when I first came here. So when I first came to America, to this country, I did not buy my own plane ticket, somebody else got the ticket and when I arrived I had no food to eat, so the mother Jacki was taking care for us for three months and she gave us food to eat. Then after that we established this center and how this center has been established was only depending on the altruistic mind, a true beneficial wish for sentient beings and all the other emanations of bodhisattvas with bodhicitta. So this has been for the benefit of this country. And in the beginning when I first came here, I had really nothing. I had not even food to eat and so Jacki was feeding me like a bird mother feeding a little bird.

So the merit really is bodhicitta, love and compassion. And love and compassion is Chenrezig. And Chenrezig is symbolized with the mani mantra. And when Drubwang Rinpoche was here, he said “You don’t need to do any other practices, you just need to recite OM MANI PADME HUNG, OM MANI PADME HUNG. That ‘s all you need to do.” And you spin the prayer wheel and if you spin that wheel, everything you are wishing for – you wish for money, you wish for a boyfriend, you wish for a girlfriend, you wish for a house, you wish for the happiness of future lifetimes, everything you will receive from doing that.

So I really don’t have any great qualities or great learnings and just the other day my nephew, the umze Gape Lama said to me – “Now you have been in America for ten years and still you don’t even know how to count from one to ten in the English language.” And so it is true, I really don’t have any learning and still I accomplish much with spinning my wheel. "

HE Garchen Rinpoche Winter Teachings Phowa 2011 at Garchen Institute

amboose, brightlight and Badegg like this.
  3. wicha

wicha Registered Member

Prayer Wheels as Prostration
    "Whatever you do that benefits others is a physical prostration, a physical virtue. Even if you cannot do a physical prostration, if you have some physical limitations, there are still other methods to accumulate physical prostrations, for example, the spinning of a prayer wheel. When you spin a prayer wheel, you accumulate the virtue of body, speech, and mind. The spinning itself is the virtue of the body, like a prostration. The speech is that the prayer wheel is filled with mantras. And the mind is that you remain undistracted while you are spinning a prayer wheel. It is a very good practice, because it is easy to perform and very meaningful. So even if you think you cannot do physical prostration, there is still another method, there are many methods, for example, spinning a prayer wheel that already is a physical prostration. Basically, anything that you do with your body in order to benefit others is a physical prostration."

Prayer Wheels Phowa and Faith
    " Power of faith. Disciples or practitioners have different aspirations and inclinations. You can practice according to your inclinations. For some practitioners, they prefer to practice the method with the winds and some others prefer the visualization. Some even think “Nothing works for me. I’m not good at any of that.” Then they grow tired and then they don’t want to practice. But actually to cultivate faith is most important. If you just cultivate unchanging faith, that is the best method. For example, we have mentioned the benefits of the prayer wheel. It is taught if you have a prayer wheel and your entire life you have great faith into your prayer wheel, then when you die and you have the prayer wheel above your crown on your pillow and someone tells you “The prayer wheel is there [by your crown]” and you hear that, you know it’s there, then your consciousness will go there and that becomes a phowa practice. It serves the function of a phowa practice. It really has that power. I have personal experience with that. I am really someone with a lot of suffering experiences. For example, one time in Tibet, we had a car accident. And during the accident, I not in the slightest thought about “I could be hurt.” I didn’t think that. I was just wanting to hold my prayer wheel—protect my prayer wheel. Then, nothing happened [that is, no one died or was hurt in the car accident]. I really felt “this is really very powerful—it is really true what the Buddha has said.” Such is the power of faith. If you just understand the power of a dharma wheel, a prayer wheel. So, wherever you focus your attention, your consciousness will go there. That is the great quality of faith. Therefore, there is no need to grow tired of practice.

During this time when I had this car accident, I really especially cultivated trust and faith. When we had this car accident, there were five people in the car. The car flipped over and it was totaled. We came out of the car. We were wearing thick clothing, but it was completely torn and blood was coming out. But when we emerged from the car, we realized that this had happened. I hadn’t even thought about this during the accident. None of the 5 people in the car were hurt. And I really felt that this was the compassionate protection of Tara, of the prayer wheel. That experience caused me to cultivate even greater faith. So these powers actually exist.

Most important is that we need the cultivation of faith. First, when we train in phowa, we first cultivate that faith and then we train in the visualization, over and over again, according to our sadhana."

Benefits from simply touching a prayer wheel
    Just touching a prayer wheel brings great purification of negative Karma and obscurations and all beings in the area where the prayer wheel is built will be saved from rebirth in lower realms.

~ HE Garchen Rinpoche

4. kurty

kurty Registered Member

thanks for sharing, it has always been a doubt to me, just like an empty cup. seeking the right content to be pour into.

i saw this wheel before but never understand the real purpose, i even have my doubts if this really works or just some fast buck making scams..as i seen them in electronic or solar powered.

probably due to my ignorance, i have grown phobia towards it. could you actually share with me more about this prayer wheel and where could i actually obtain it.

i thank you.

sweelin likes this.
  5. wicha

wicha Registered Member

Bro kurty i am glad you show interest to it due to your positive karma ripening :thumbs_up: , fortunate are those who see it , hears it , touch it , spin it and have faith in it , it is so convenient and simple that some even doubt it . Out of Compassion , Guru Rinpoche had given and share this teachings in the past as one of the most skillful method to accumulate merits and purify negative karma , especially so in this degenerative era where most people had abandon virtues and have wrong and dualistic views on dharma .

You can get it in some tibetan buddhist temples , some of them may have stocks if not you can place a order with the rep or resident monks there , google it depending on where you stay to get the address , alternatively you can get it from those shops that sells buddhist items like the mall at FLS , then inspect the internal micro roll and make sure the mantra is in the right position and get it bless by a qualified tibetan master / rinpoche of a proper lineage .

amboose likes this.
  6. kurty

kurty Registered Member

haha, you flatter me. i have always been ignorance and skeptic. Just as i embark the journey towards buddhism, my zest need to be filled with the right information, the right person, the right subjects.

Hence, i actually procrastinate as i'm afraid it might be an offend, before i hit the button : submit reply
    thanks, it turn out well :hahahahaha:

there was an old thread about prayer wheel
    http://amuletforums.com/purchase-prayer-wheel-t3998.html

credit to Bro Sawasdee, he mentioned about this 3 location.

Palyul Nyingma Buddhist Association
    Nyingma Kathok Buddhist Centre - Singapore
    Home Page | Gaden Shartse Dro-Phen Ling 甘丹东顶渡悲林

as it is an old thread in 2009, is there any other temples that i could purchase?
    I'm actually look for one like your display.
    i could probably use it for 5 mins after i finish mediation?
    an electric unit would be good for the family too.

7. wicha

wicha Registered Member

8. Norbu

Norbu Registered Member

are you in sg? Amitabha Buddhist Centre have stock for prayer wheel, which is small and contain 6million mantra using microfilm.... but dont know is it bless or you need to get it bless yourselves.. The cost is $40

amboose likes this.
  9. kurty

kurty Registered Member

sure, this is indeed very helpful. i thank you too.

may i ask a funny question, as i usually pray 'the thai style'. can i use the prayer wheel too?

it should be fine, as we are praying to the same buddha. just different languages, probably....

10. Norbu

Norbu Registered Member

mani wheel, there have different mantra inside.. but mainly it contavin the mantra Om Manu Padme hung..

Om Mani Padme Hung contain the essense of buddha's 84,000 treaching... so just recite Om Mani Padme Hung when turning the mani wheel... make sure you turn it clockwise.... Amitabha Buddhist centre ground floor have a huge mani wheel.. which contains billions mantra..If you go there, give that a few turn will be fabulous..

Their stupa at ground floor also contain many holy objects with billions of mantra also.. circumbulate there is be great....

11. kurty

kurty Registered Member

i thank you and bro wicha.

i will pay a visit to ABC tomorrow morning, you guys have filled up my cup for now, today.
    the rest, is up to my own karma to reap the fruits.

[​IMG]

i found this online in ebay.
    6 Mantra 8 Cimelia Copper Prayer Wheel

amboose likes this.
  12. brightlight

brightlight Registered Member

i rejoice at the merits of you sharing!

Good brother Wicha. You beat me to sharing the Dhamma Wheel. i can never find such good article that you have posted that bring out the wholesome goodness of spinning the Dhamma Wheel.

i envy and rejoice at those who have cars and place the solar powered Dhamma Wheel to let it spin automatically. Imagine, what we are at work, the car park under the sun is gaining merits for us at every moment. Surely, the car value is not depreciating anymore.

i recently acquired a Dhamma Wheel at Tibetan Buddhist Studies Society at only $25, where outside shop is selling very similar type at $180. i would encourage everyone to buy at Buddhist Temples because they have prayers conducted often and the power of their chants will be infused into those Dhamma items as well. Hence, we not only pay for the Dhamma wheel but received supplementary add-ons (prayers power) as well.

[​IMG]

No. 2 Lorong 13 Geylang Road Singapore 388640
    Tel: 6742 4438
    Call to find out if they are available before you go

And i give my thanks to your posts to express that i rejoice at your posts, so as to get the same merits of you propagating such wholesome goodness.

阿弥陀佛
    Brightlight :)

amboose and mathiatus like this.
  13. vogue

vogue Registered Member

Sharing mine...
    [​IMG]

Angelyn and amboose like this.
  14. mahalarp

mahalarp Registered Member

For 2 days, thought of writing some simple words abt the Mani Wheel, after Bro Brightlight mentioned the Mani Wheel in one of his thread.. When this thread came out, the time is ripe.

Years ago, I read abt the disciples of Lama Zopa Rinpoche asked him beside spinning the wheel, now that it is the technology age, will putting a Mani Wheel picture or Om Mani Padme Hum words on the computer hard disk gets the same benefits as well, since the hard disk is spinning at thousands of revolutions per minute.
    Lama Zopa Rinpoche replied that , " Yes, gets the benefits. "

amboose and versacrop like this.
  15. vogue

vogue Registered Member

I do not subscribe to that thought of using the hard disk method. I believe what Lama Zopa Rinpoche meant is everything that comes with the picture or scriptures of Buddhism is beneficial.

I believe in the "physical" force of nature turning the dharma wheel. Not by hard disk or software turning it. I might be wrong but that's my personal view.

16. kurty

kurty Registered Member

how does yours actually work?
    i saw it online, selling in ebay. ever come across any electric powered in sg?

17. vogue

vogue Registered Member

It is finger twist on the knot at the top and it spins vigorously. I got it at Karma Kagyud.
    Whenever I passby my living room, I simply give it a twist and chant the mantra "Om Mani Padme Hum". Handsfree.... lol.

I saw somewhere, they have those solar-power ones but it looks more like a toy than a dharma wheel.

18. brightlight

brightlight Registered Member

By the way, the Compassion Life Mission at 60A Pagoda Street, have many many Dhamma wheels that we can manually turn (they are along the wall) in case we overlook.

amboose likes this.
  19. hungrybird

hungrybird Registered Member

In computer everything is 10100101110011100100110100111011010010110010011010:biggrin:

20. hungrybird

hungrybird Registered Member

I'm going to get the sticker form to paste on the fan since it gets to spin many many times every day.

: mani

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)