Maha Thera Samakom

Discussion in 'General Buddhism' started by maha phrom, 13 August 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maha phrom

maha phrom Registered Member

As some forummers have the ideology that Thai monks are untouchable and uncondemnable.

Let me share some light on the Maha Thera Samakom (Thai Ecclesiastical Council)
    This body governs the monastic clergy and welcomes any feedback & issues regarding Thai monks

The Ecclesiastical Council
    Office of National Buddhism
    Salya Sub-District, Phutthamonthon District,
    Nakhon Pathom Province
    Thailand 73170

"Sacce Me Bhikkhu Samma Vihareyyyum, Asunno Loko Arahantehu Assa"
    Should all Bhikkhus live rightly, the world will not be empty of Arahants

Lord Buddha
    Maha Parinibbana Sutta
    Digha Nikaya, Sutta Pitaka​

2. maha phrom

Monk life

Thai version
    [YOUTUBE]l6wxNmyBT3I[/YOUTUBE]

English version
    [YOUTUBE]iNzYA5TUaG8[/YOUTUBE]

3. fazhu

fazhu Registered Member

These 2 words untouchable and uncondemnable, has no necessity in lay person or even the Sangha Council.

Lord Buddha taught the Dhamma to every beings and enlightenment is in an individual hands. Buddha will not entertain those whom do not strive for his enlightenment course after some advice.

The duties of Supreme Sangha Council is to govern Dhamma establishments, delegation of religious responsibilities and authority for monks, such as in charge of particular sub district, province, etc.

There is Patimokh Ceremony for monks to confess his shortfalls. Until unless the monks are seriously damaging the orderliness of a Chapter or Monks Establishment, the next level of Sangha Authority will not interfere. Interference is usually in the form of council between an Elder, Teacher, Preceptor to the student.

This story of Kesi Sutta is something I like to quote:
    Then Kesi the horsetrainer went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down, sat to one side. As he was sitting there, the Blessed One said to him: "You, Kesi, are a trained man, a trainer of tamable horses. And how do you train a tamable horse?"

"Lord, I train a tamable horse [sometimes] with gentleness, [sometimes] with harshness, [sometimes] with both gentleness & harshness."

"And if a tamable horse doesn't submit either to a mild training or to a harsh training or to a mild & harsh training, Kesi, what do you do?"

"If a tamable horse doesn't submit either to a mild training or to a harsh training or to a mild and harsh training, lord, then I kill it. Why is that? [I think:] 'Don't let this be a disgrace to my lineage of teachers.' But the Blessed One, lord, is the unexcelled trainer of tamable people. How do you train a tamable person?"

"Kesi, I train a tamable person [sometimes] with gentleness, [sometimes] with harshness, [sometimes] with both gentleness & harshness.

"In using gentleness, [I teach:] 'Such is good bodily conduct. Such is the result of good bodily conduct. Such is good verbal conduct. Such is the result of good verbal conduct. Such is good mental conduct. Such is the result of good mental conduct. Such are the devas. Such are human beings.'

"In using harshness, [I teach:] 'Such is bodily misconduct. Such is the result of bodily misconduct. Such is verbal misconduct. Such is the result of verbal misconduct. Such is mental misconduct. Such is the result of mental misconduct. Such is hell. Such is the animal womb. Such the realm of the hungry shades.'

"In using gentleness & harshness, [I teach:] 'Such is good bodily conduct. Such is the result of good bodily conduct. Such is bodily misconduct. Such is the result of bodily misconduct. Such is good verbal conduct. Such is the result of good verbal conduct. Such is verbal misconduct. Such is the result of verbal misconduct. Such is good mental conduct. Such is the result of good mental conduct. Such is mental misconduct. Such is the result of mental misconduct. Such are the devas. Such are human beings. Such is hell. Such is the animal womb. Such the realm of the hungry shades.'"

"And if a tamable person doesn't submit either to a mild training or to a harsh training or to a mild & harsh training, what do you do?"

"If a tamable person doesn't submit either to a mild training or to a harsh training or to a mild & harsh training, then I kill him, Kesi."

"But it's not proper for our Blessed One to take life! And yet the Blessed One just said, 'I kill him, Kesi.'"

"It is true, Kesi, that it's not proper for a Tathagata to take life. But if a tamable person doesn't submit either to a mild training or to a harsh training or to a mild & harsh training, then the Tathagata doesn't regard him as being worth speaking to or admonishing. His knowledgeable fellows in the holy life don't regard him as being worth speaking to or admonishing. This is what it means to be totally destroyed in the Doctrine & Discipline, when the Tathagata doesn't regard one as being worth speaking to or admonishing, and one's knowledgeable fellows in the holy life don't regard one as being worth speaking to or admonishing."

"Yes, lord, wouldn't one be totally destroyed if the Tathagata doesn't regard one as being worth speaking to or admonishing, and one's knowledgeable fellows in the holy life don't regard one as being worth speaking to or admonishing!

"Magnificent, lord! Magnificent! Just as if he were to place upright what was overturned, to reveal what was hidden, to show the way to one who was lost, or to carry a lamp into the dark so that those with eyes could see forms, in the same way has the Blessed One — through many lines of reasoning — made the Dhamma clear. I go to the Blessed One for refuge, to the Dhamma, and to the community of monks. May the Blessed One remember me as a lay follower who has gone to him for refuge, from this day forward, for life."

Think of this Sutta, you will save your saliva to advise people in the category Buddha has explained.

4. maha phrom

Bro Fazhu,

Nice of you to share!

Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu

5. DarkMind

DarkMind Registered Member

As I mentioned in the other forum:

My view is that we as unenlightened lay people are in no position to question LP Samchai. No offence intended.

6. fazhu

fazhu Registered Member

I 100% agree with Bro Darkmind, only an Arahant or Lord Buddha himself can advise a fellow monk, that too in accordance with the principles as stated in Kesi Sutta.

7. maha phrom

That is precisely why I posted the address of the Maha Thera Samakom here.

I have submitted a letter with photos and video of that LP Samchai performing the ritual.

It is up to the Council to decide upon the judgement and appropriate course of actions!

Besides Arahant or Buddha himself, in Thai monastic history, there are monks who have been disrobed as clamped down by the Council.

8. maha phrom

Principles?
    Even the Bhikkhu can ignore the teachings in the past and in present day.

9. Tashlan

Tashlan Registered Member

Wah lau eh. I feel damn sad for LP Samchai. Kena complained for no good reason.
    What he did, did not violate any of the vinaya.
    Does a little blood letting constitute 'body mortification ' ?
    It might seem unsightly but its all part and parcel of wicha, nothing to do with a monk's dharma practice. For all you know, he could be using the amulets to raise funds for his temple.

10. maha phrom

Heehee:hahahahaha::heehee:
    Buah Tahan
    So you think the video-clip is healthy for propagation of Buddhism or does it project the glorious image of Thai Sangha?

11. Buddho

Buddho Registered Member

Maha phrom, why are you so stubborn? Did I not already tell everyone not to raise this topic anymore? I'm locking this thread and the next person to test my patience will be suspended from the forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)