1. Dhamma Galleria
  2. Premium Banner Advertising

3. Premium Membership

Premium Membership

Dear all, 

Please note that all sales and advertising are to be done in the Premium Classifieds. Click to upgrade your account today!

Katha for Sharing

Discussion in 'Mantras Kathas Sutras' started by Dhamma Galleria, 1 March 2017.

1. Jostri

Jostri Registered Member

Hi qrzpubx. Thank you for your kind answer about 'Swa' and 'Ha'! Soon I'm gonna try out.

About the symbol I am looking for, one of the two reasons I connected to you, good people, (the other is solved by dear Dhamma), is a symbol on old coins and rings, I'm not sure if its name really is Namo, but a good example can be seen on the url I posted on 'Quote 31': uauction4.....In fact the symbol looks like a letter J with on the left side in the middle of the J, another J starting horizontally and curling up (golden ratio?). You see the letter J is also the first letter of my first name Johan (=also John...)(meaning: god is mercyful, no joke!) I wear the ring (that functions as a reminder of my meditation in action) 'upside down' to put me inflated ego symbolically on a lower level. By the way, isn't it funny that in english language we write the ego-word 'I' with a capital (I did this, I can do that, I mean that...I,I,I...)?
    Can You understand now why the rral meaning of the symbol is rather important to me?

Thank you for your time and effort
    jostri

Newbie91 likes this.
  2. Jostri

Jostri Registered Member

Dear Dhamma (= laws of nature and the three pillars of buddhisme?),
    about the second pillar, The Noble Eightfold Path, third path Speech-Samma Vaca: for me it is a difficult balance to find between not withholding the 'truth' en not hurting others. I have a lot to learn. I appreciate your words in Quote 40. I only noticed the standing out of your not going in to one of my questions (almost like begging), about the ring (I'm not 'The lord of the rings', the 'precious' lies in the mind, if you know the book or the film...Just joking), that's why I wanted to react to it, assuming you 'd be wise enough to cope. And you are. Thank you for that lesson. I am on the other hand in no possition to give you a lesson but I dare to give you a friendly advise: you could just let me know if you can not, for any reason, or don't want to answer the (ring)-question and I can cope with that.

Peace of mind & Friendly greetings,
    jostri

Newbie91 likes this.
  3. Jostri

Jostri Registered Member

Hi Valen,
    about Quote 38:... Seems CHIM: what does that mean?
    jostri

Newbie91 likes this.
  4. Dhamma Galleria

Dhamma Galleria Premium Member Premium Member

As mentioned, I will be asking on your behalf the monks in Thailand before replying you. Thank you for your patience and apologies for the delay due to my heavy workloads.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

5. Dhamma Galleria

Also, please feel free to contact me directly via the following:

Whatsapp: +6598411199
    WeChat/LINE: dhammagalleria
    Email: [email protected]

Communication will be more clear, efficient and speedy via the channels given and I will do my best to help you. I have left a message in your inbox but has not received any response so far. Thus, hopefully I can help in whatever ways possible, and I will wait for your email or message soon. Thank you very much and have a good day.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Jostri and tupidxkenneth like this.
  6. Dhamma Galleria

Bhaisajyaguru (Medicine Buddha) Mantra

The Medicine Buddha, or Bhaiṣajyaguru, is as his name suggests connected with healing. His mantra exists in both long and short forms. In its long form it is:

namo bhagavate bhaiṣajyaguru vaidūryaprabharājāya tathāgatāya arhate samyaksambuddhāya tadyathā: oṃ bhaiṣajye bhaiṣajye bhaiṣajya-samudgate svāhā.

The short form is:

(tadyathā:) oṃ bhaiṣajye bhaiṣajye mahābhaiṣajye bhaiṣajyarāje samudgate svāhā.

“Bhaisajya” means “curativeness” or “healing efficacy,” while “guru” means “teacher” or “master.” Thus he’s the “master of healing.” He’s also known as Bhaisajyaraja, “raja” meaning “king.”

The short form of the mantra could roughly be translated as “Hail! Appear, O Healer, O Healer, O Great Healer, O King of Healing!” The optional “tadyathā” at the beginning means “thus,” and it’s not really part of the mantra, but more of an introduction.

The long version could be rendered as, “Homage to the Blessed One, The Master of Healing, The King of Lapis Lazuli Radiance, The One Thus-Come, The Worthy One, The Fully and Perfectly Awakened One, thus: ‘Hail! Appear, O Healer, O Healer, O Great Healer, O King of Healing!’ ”

I used to work as a counselor in a medical institution in Singapore, and every morning, I would recite this prayer, hoping that the Medicine Buddha will alleviate the sufferings of the clients I was going to meet everyday.

Having counseled, heard stories, and witnessed firsthand the problems people from all walks of life are facing, I began to understand that many problems are simply beyond social work and medical science can solve. Certain issues need to be looked and dealt with from a spiritual and karmic perspective, thus led to my journey to study under different Masters in Thailand.

Anyway, the mantra bought calmness and a sense of healing to my heart also when I got burn out at times, and I also taught this mantra to some of my clients who were interested in Buddhism. Hopefully this mantra will bring healings to all who are suffering from any form of illnesses. May all who chant this mantra be blessed!

Last edited: 15 March 2017
    Jostri likes this.
  7. Jostri

Jostri Registered Member

Hello qrzpubx,
    today I practised Swa and Ha during sit-meditation and I noticed that the words/innersounds distracted me from the essence: to experience the breathings. For a while I connected the Swa-Ha to you and I focused on compassion towards you but again, though I don't regret that, the goal is the experience. The human brain is, like a hunter for a prey, always looking for a meaning and if a meaning can't be found it makes up a meaning wether we like it or not wether we notice it or not...Thanks to you I saw these things in the quickly appearing gaps between the conscious breathings.
    Namaste,
    jostri

8. qrzpubx

qrzpubx Registered Member

:) . This is usually the first timer experience in pranayama and yoga. It takes time to settle down and experience. Don't think about me. Think about the bigger universe. Think about the universe in yourself and the universe beyond. Breath in and think Swa. Breath out and think Ha. If you want, you can start off by silently using Swa and Ha without making a sound as it's easier. Think of the nature of the mind with the breathing and the silent syllables.

This is very basic pranayama yoga.

Here's a little more advanced pranayama and mantrayana yoga which you can give a try when you have more experience or curious.

Also, you can attempt to recite a mantra and observe how your mouth forms, your breathing takes place and your mind reacts.

The Heart Sutra Mantra would be a fun place to start and it's easy to remember and do.

Om Gate Gate Para Gate Para Sam Gate Bodhi Swaha

Gate pronounced as Gah Tay.
    Sam pronounced as Sum.
    Bodhi pronounced as Bu Di.

Watch the raise and flow of the breath through the lungs into the stomach. The rise and fall of the stomach. The forming of your mouth, lips and tongue when you speak each syllable slowly.

When you are even more experienced, you can intone and drag each syllable like Oooommmmm Ggaaaahhhh TTTTTaaaayyy ... use your throat to intone. This is one of the more advanced form of pranayama and used in rituals but this is very advanced stuff and you should proceed very very slowly.

Last edited: 15 March 2017
    Newbie91 and Jostri like this.
  9. tupidxkenneth

tupidxkenneth Registered Member

hi dhamma, what katha usually use for phra chinnaraq, shorter katha prefer. thanks

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Newbie91 likes this.
  10. Jostri

Jostri Registered Member

Hi qrzpubx,

Thank you very much for your interesting lesson! Am I wrong to focus on thinking no thoughts at all? Thoughts come as they please. I see them, acknowlege and let go... I just want to focus on the breathing itself and its movement...

Friendly regards,

Jostri

Newbie91 likes this.
  11. qrzpubx

Do not even think of no thoughts. All thoughts arise and all thoughts disappear naturally. Relax in the natural state of the mind. When the mind is calm, concentration will become sharper as well. But to do that, you need to put your mind to focus on something which is breathing and all that then when the mind goes astray, gently coax it back to the task. When observing the breath and all that, the mind will slowly calm down and if the mind starts to calm down and not bothered on the breathing anymore, then now you have entered into the beginning stages of emptiness and leave the mind be calm once your mind has calmed down.

Newbie91, adamcataleya and Jostri like this.
  12. Jostri

Jostri Registered Member

Yes, I recognise this, except that I'll have to go a long way till the beginning of emptiness...
    Today I tried this technic: I counted my breathings (in+out): 232 in 25 minutes. I am looking for methods that help...
    By counting breathings during action I notice quicker that my mind runs away from what I am doing...

Best wishes for you on your path,
    jostri

Newbie91 likes this.
  13. tupidxkenneth

tupidxkenneth Registered Member

hi seniors, i have did som research and found out phra chinnaraj dont need any katha. is that true?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Newbie91 likes this.
  14. Thataboom

Thataboom Registered Member

Thank you so much!

I just came back from my fist time in Thailand (I am from Brasil), I am really touched by Buddhism and looking to learn all I can about it.. Thanks for all the kathas.

Do you have katha for lek lai?

ko pun ka

Newbie91 likes this.
  15. adamcataleya

adamcataleya Registered Member

R u a mafia?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Newbie91 likes this.
  16. Valen

Valen Registered Member

It's not only about healing, for a frog run by a car, the prayers to alleviate the pain and may it reborn in a higher realm also applicable. My 2cents.

@Jostri Chim means something like Profound

Newbie91 likes this.
  17. Dhamma Galleria

Apologies for the late update, as Thailand is very hot now, most of the time above 40 Degree Celsius. And being out running errands most of the time has caused me a fever (most likely due to getting into hot weather and then immediately into air-con area while in the office or car). Your kind prayers will be appreciated for me to be healed soon! Thank you very much in advance.

Came across a beautiful and delightful Buddhist song sent to me by a kind devotee, thus thought of sharing it with every one. May all have a great weekend and be blessed with a good rest! May the joy of Dhamma be with Everyone always!

Last edited: 18 March 2017
    Newbie91 likes this.
  18. qrzpubx

Ekadasa Mukha Dharani
    (Eleven Faced Avalokiteswara/Guan Yin/Chenrezig a.k.a Tibet version of Great Compassionate Dharani)

Namo Ratnatrayaya
    Namo Arya Jnana
    Sagara
    Vairocana
    Vyuharajaya
    Tathagataya
    Arahate
    Samyaksam
    Buddhaya
    Namo sarva tathagatebhye
    Arahatebhye
    Samyaksam Buddhebhye
    Namo arya-avalokite
    Swaraya
    Bodhisattvaya
    Mahasattvaya
    Mahakarunikaya

Tadyatha Om Dara Dara Diri Diri Duru Duru Ittiwe Ittitcale Cale Prachale Prachale Kusume Kusuma Ware Ili Mili Citi Jvalam Apanaye Svaha

Note that I have underlined the main mantra of the dharani to point to it's importance. If you are stuck in a situation where reading the entire dharani is difficult, you can choose the shortcut to jump directly to the mantra. The words have been edited to make it as close to the original pronunciations as possible.

According to the Pu Men Pin sutra, the person who recites the Great Compassionate Mantra or rely on the powers of Avalokiteswara will not experience the fifteen kinds of untimely deaths below:
    • They will not die of starvation or privation.
    • They will not die from having been yoked, imprisoned, caned or otherwise beaten.
    • They will not die at the hands of hostile enemies.
    • They will not be killed in battle.
    • They will not be killed by tigers, wolves, or other evilbeasts.
    • They will not die from the venom of poisonous snakes, black serpents, or scorpions.
    • They will not drown or be burned to death.
    • They will not be poisoned to death.
    • They will not die as a result of sorcery.
    • They will not die of madness or insanity.
    • They will not be killed by landslides or falling trees.
    • They will not die of nightmares sent by evil people.
    • They will not be killed by deviant spirits or evil ghosts.
    • They will not die of evil illnesses which bind the body.
    • They will not commit suicide.
    By relying on Avalokiteswara, the fifteen kinds of good fortune will be:
    • Their place of birth will always have a good king.
    • They will always be born in a good country.
    • They will always be born at a good time.
    • They will always meet good friends.
    • The organs of their body will always be complete.
    • Their heart will be pure and full in the way.
    • They will not violate the prohibitive precepts.
    • Their family will be kind and harmonious.
    • They will always have the necessary wealth and goods in abundance.
    • They will always obtain the respect and help of others.
    • Their riches will not be plundered.
    • They will obtain everything they seek.
    • Dragons, gods, and good spirits will always protect them.
    • In the place where they are born they will see the Buddha and hear the Dharma.
    • They will awaken to the profound meaning of that Proper Dharma which they hear.
    Chinese version of Great Compassionate Mantra and probably a Sanskrit version may follow in the future.

Newbie91 likes this.
  19. Thataboom

Thataboom Registered Member

Mafia? Why would I be mafia?

Newbie91 likes this.
  20. adamcataleya

adamcataleya Registered Member

The 1st katha u asking is for leklai[emoji23] means to avoid bullet? Hehe

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Newbie91 likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)