1. Premium Banner Advertising

2. Premium Membership

Premium Membership

Dear all, 

Please note that all sales and advertising are to be done in the Premium Classifieds. Click to upgrade your account today!

[SG Events] Katha for Sharing

Discussion in 'Events & Notices' started by Dhamma Galleria, 1 March 2017.

1. Dhamma Galleria

Dhamma Galleria Premium Member Premium Member

Mantra or katha come in many different forms. Some are long while some are short. No one katha is better or worse than another katha.

Throughout the world, there are many different versions of birthday songs, but all of them carry the same meaning of joyous celebration ones' birthday. Using this as an analogy, we chant different types of katha, passed down by different monks, for the same reason and intention of spiritual cultivation, generate positive energy and create good merits and virtues.

For instance, in terms of worshipping Phra Prom, there are many different versions of the katha. Usually I will encourage learners to start with memorizing the more simple or shorter versions first. Being caught up with the mental challenge of memorizing very long katha or mantra may interfere with the intended purpose to bring peace and calmness, and to be in tune with the true Buddha nature within us.

Long kathas can be read by looking at the scriptures instead, whilst the short kathas can be used anytime once you form a deep impression of them in your psychic through continuous recitation.

As many devotees worship Phra Prom, following is a simple Phra Prom katha:

OHM PHAN-HA-MA-NEI-NA-MA
    PHRAM-MA-TEI-WA-NA-MAT-DEI

2. Jostri

Jostri Registered Member

Newbie91 and KarmaWozer12 like this.
  3. Jostri

Jostri Registered Member

Dear 'Damma Galleria', I found your words very interesting and wise, I was even touched by them for a moment.
    Can you advise me on this katha, is it Awicaa or okay: NA MO PUTT THA YA? For the same reason I wonder if the old Hua Namo-symbol on old Thai coins and rings is okay to use for meditation in daily life (during action)??
    I appriciate a wise answer but anyway I enjoyed your words and spirit. May you see the light!! Friendly greetings to all! Jostri

Newbie91 likes this.
  4. Dhamma Galleria

Thank you for your kind words, and for the questions. To ensure that I'm giving you a correct and constructive answer, I will be discussing the issues stated with my Kruba Ajarns (mentors/masters) in Thailand, before replying you in private. Thank you very much for giving me the opportunity to learn, and may you be blessed always. Wishing you a wonderful journey on the path of spiritual cultivation [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Jostri likes this.
  5. Jostri

Jostri Registered Member

Hi 'Dhamma G.'! I'm looking forward for your and the other Kruba Ajarns' answers. Now I especially wonder what the symbol is about, because in the mean time I read the chapter about coins in the paper of a student named Thanon Chitkament. The paper is titled: "Impact of Indian Culture on Southern Thailand with Special reference to Nakhon Si Thammarat".
    It can be found on the internet and perhaps it will be useful to you. But still I don't know the meaning of the Namo-symbol.
    I really like the way you make blessings, it is striking because I'm not used to it. Beautiful! For ones I quote a Western Singerman who won the Nobelprice-literature: ...May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung, and may you stay forever young...I hope this is not insulting you or your religion, it just expresses what I want to wish for you. Thank you and the other Ajarns! Now I'm going to sit and meditate for half an hour. Warm greetings to all.

6. qrzpubx

qrzpubx Registered Member

Namo Puttaya is actually Namo Buddhaya once it has been pronouned not in a Thai accent but something closer to Indian accent or to be more Indian, they would pronounce Namah Buddhaya.

Let's break down the word to understand it's meaning.

Namah/Namo - Pay respects. Homage.
    Puttaya/Buddhaya - Buddha.

If you put the two words together, it means Homage ! Buddha. You are paying respect to the Buddha and thus it is a very auspicious phrase (Gatha/Kata) to say.

The Chinese people love to say Namo Dabei Guan Shih Yin Pusa to pay respects to Guan Yin. Similarly, the same homage and praise to the Lord Buddha is equally beneficial and it is encouraged to use Namah Buddhaya to pay homage and praise the Lord Buddha.

Do use the homages to the Buddha with faith and sincerity which will bring merits and benefits.

Newbie91, Jostri and Edward Goh like this.
  7. Edward Goh

Edward Goh Registered Member

What about " Ma A U"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie91 likes this.
  8. Jostri

Jostri Registered Member

Hi 'Dhamma G.' (I hope you don't mind to be called like this), I'm very obliged for your answer to one of my questions and I can say with sincerity and faith Na Mo Putt Tha Ya! Often one answer brings about another (or more) question(s): why is it that when it comes to compassion the Buddha takes the form of a woman (Guan Yin)? Its just a philosophical question, don't bother to answer it.
    About the Namo-symbol on the old Thai ring that I bought to help me remind meditation in action: there are lots of coins with on te reverse side the Khom Agkhara symbol 'Mo' (also known in Sak Yant) and in the Coin Museum Bangkok it also is to be seen. The paper of Thanon Chitkament I talked about on p.41 showes figure 3.5 of an inscription in ancient Mon language found on a temple dating around 7th century A.D. in Nakhon Si Thammarat and in the middle/above the I see a symbol that looks like the Mo-symbol on the coins and rings, but still I don't know its meaning. My hope is set on you and the other Kruba Ajarns.

May the tide of your concious breathings sweep away the dust that is veiling all human brains.

In humble thankfulness,
    Jostri.

Newbie91 likes this.
  9. Jostri

Jostri Registered Member

Dear 'Dhamma G', what I forgot to mention is that my ring was connected to the monk Phor Than Klai, he could have 'made' the ring, and have blessed it.

By the way, is this year, in western countries as Belgium indicated as the year A.(anno)D.(domini) 2017, the same as in your part of the world is indicated as BE(Buddha Enlightenment)2600??

Peace in your hart!

Thanks once again

Jostri

Newbie91 likes this.
  10. Jostri

Jostri Registered Member

Dear 'Dhamma G.' and everybody else, my adapted wish:
    May the tide of your concious breathings wash away the remaining mud from the core of your shining peaceful mind.

With love,
    Jostri

Newbie91 likes this.
  11. Jostri

Jostri Registered Member

Namo- symbol. Another attempt to clarify my question: a good example of the symbol that I very much would like to understand can be found here: uauction4.uamulet.com/AuctionDetail.aspx?bid=314&qid=162709

Thank you for helping me out!!

Keep on rocking the craddle of concious breathings, not to get a good sleep but bright awareness

Kind regards,

Jostri

Newbie91 likes this.
  12. qrzpubx

Avalokiteswara/Guan Yin/Chenrezig is neither male nor female. Original imagery from India points to Guan Yin in male form and the female form came during the Chinese Tang dynasty. At that time, the ruler of China was Wu Zetian, an Empress. It is said that Wu Zetian wanted to solidify her power by using Buddhism which is a wildly popular religion in that era. She wanted to be shown as compassionate and saintly and thus commissioned the artwork to depict the White Robe Guan Yin image in her own image. This is of course mostly a myth.

In the Amitabha Sutra and other sutras, Bodhisattvas are described to have no gender and are beings with a body of golden light. These superior beings with body of golden light are able to transform at will to any image they want to appear. Thus, Avalokiteswara, out of compassion for sentient beings, can take many forms in any gender and that includes taking forms of Rakshas, Yakshas, Ghost Kings, Ascetics, Bhikkus, Nuns, Male gender, Female gender and many different form which include the forms of Demon Kings to subdue demons and Maras if needed. In the tantric form of Buddhism (Vajrayana), there are wrathful forms of Guan Yin like the Mahakala and Hayagriva forms which are essentially Guan Yin copying the form of the target demon or mara to be subdued and then appearing in an even more frightening and awe-inspiring form of the demon or mara to be subdued.

Due to the different capacities of sentient beings to be tamed, the Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, Arhats, Protectors and so forth will use skillful means to guide sentient beings to the correct path.

The archetype for Compassion can be male, female or any form and not restricted to female forms. In this illusory world, people are more conditioned to females as more motherly and caring figures thus due to such mindset of Samsaric beings, it will be more useful to appear in the forms that the current era of people are more attuned to and thus the using of the female form is much more suitable. This would explain in a general sense as to why the female form of Bodhisattva Guan Yin is particularly famous.

In India and Tibet, Guan Yin would remain as male while a female emanation of Guan Yin called Tara Bodhisattva (which legend has it that Tara is born from the compassionate tears of Guan Yin) would assume this motherly role. It really depends on which culture you are more attracted to and their forms.

Newbie91, adamcataleya and Jostri like this.
  13. qrzpubx

There is a Mantra Meditation that can be used for breathing in and out. The Mantra is simply "Swa Ha" which is used as the ending of most Mantra. If you breath in, you would notice that your breathing in would conform to the syllable "Swa" and when you breath out, your breathing out sounds like "Ha". Mantra and breathing meditation can be used together for better mindfulness.

Newbie91 and Jostri like this.
  14. Jostri

Jostri Registered Member

Thank you Ajarn 'Dhamma G.' for the interesting lesson on the 'Bodhisattva and gender-issue'!
    If you find some time to dig in to the material world of a ring and an unexplainable symbol, please see the example I
    posted.

Maybe two valuable sites for you to compare your knowledge to Bodhipaksa: fakebuddhaquotes.com and realbuddhaquotes.com

Shine on!

Newbie91 likes this.
  15. Jostri

Jostri Registered Member

Thank you qrzpubx for the fine tip. Before a dear to use it though I want to know the meaning of 'Swa' en 'Ha'.
    Can you understand that? Can you tell me?

I don't know the word used in Buddhisme that is why I use Hindu (and hope it is not offending you): Namaste.
    (In Belgium there is a Zen/mindfulnessteacher who says they bend 'at' each other and not bend 'for'...)

Newbie91 likes this.
  16. Dhamma Galleria

Credits go to Qrxpubx. Thanks everyone for asking good questions that lead to positive and constructive discussion, allowing the expansion of useful knowledge for all. This thread is opened to everyone who has valuable inputs to contribute, and feel free to share whatever information that will be of good values and beneficial to many others. May positivity be multiplied and may everyone be blessed! And thanks all for the kind thoughts and wishes in inspiring and encouraging one another on the journey of spiritual cultivation and development! Lastly, I'm not an Ajarn, but just a learner, and I'm truly grateful for the opportunities for me to learn more from everyone, everyday =)

Last edited: 13 March 2017
    Newbie91 likes this.
  17. Jostri

Jostri Registered Member

Dear Jason, being a bit too quick, wanting to press the Khata for sharing-button I pressed the Dahmma Galleria-button and so it may be that I found a reason why you consistently ignored my questions about the Namo-ring. You're free. Thank you for the des-illusion. I wish you all the luck with your trade and the balance between it and your belief. I wish you health and luck and wisdom,
    Jostri

Newbie91 likes this.
  18. Valen

Valen Registered Member

I'm curious about Bro Jostri statement and comment. Seems chim...

Newbie91 likes this.
  19. qrzpubx

They don't have a meaning by themselves. It mimicks the sound of breathing and is used in Indian pranayama practices for meditation and to adjust one's breathing.

Not sure what you are asking about regarding the Namo symbol. Are you talking about the meaning of Namo ? If that is the question you are asking, Namo which is Namah is used for paying respects.

Newbie91 and Jostri like this.
  20. Dhamma Galleria

Yes, just like everyone else, I have my shares of struggles as a human too, and can only take one baby step at a time on this journey to understand Buddhist wisdom that can lead us to liberation, and to achieve a better life condition.

Obstacles are there to strengthen us, and works are a form of service to others, they are all part of the training and I do admit that to achieve balance is really not something easy to do, and the battle against time always seem eternal.

Nonetheless, I'm happy and truly grateful that I always meet many good people on this forum who have given me much encouragement and support.

Just like other forums on the internet, the opened communication is a great tool to give everyone a chance to contribute ideas and information, consult one another, and then finally make a discerning judgement on what is constructive info to oneself. I do not have all the answers, but as far as my ability allows, I will consult other mentors in Thailand, and help translate their teachings in the most authentic ways possible.

Thank you very much once again for your kind wishes and may you be blessed always[emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

Last edited: 14 March 2017
    Newbie91, jag, Jostri and 1 other person like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)