1. Premium Membership

Premium Membership

Dear all, 

Please note that all sales and advertising are to be done in the Premium Classifieds. Click to upgrade your account today!

[Discuss] How to buy Thai amulets ?

Discussion in 'Thai Amulets & Buchas General Discussion' started by chriswm85, Dec 11, 2016.

1. chriswm85

chriswm85 Registered Member

Woke up this morning in Bangkok and decided to pen down this question after my temple run yesterday. Now, this was the first question that I asked when I was 18 back years ago and seeing many Sg uncles or shop dealer took out a box of amulets and explaining to the buyers. My first thought was there are so many masters in Thailand, how do we know who are powerful, what to wear and how to wear ?

The interesting thing about Thai amulets there is no right or wrong to choose amulets. It can be based on gut feel/instinct, affinity between the master and devotees or it could be due to word of mouth from people/Google. Many of our times we asked ourselves is it really good? How soon will I know the results ? Is it cheap or expensive to pay for this amulet - every one has a definition towards pricing ?

When being new, the first question to us is about pricing. I would said there are 3 broad categories such as normal version, mid version and high end versions. Generally, Luang phor will said all versions are good as they undergo the same ceremony. This would indicate one would choose based on preference style for the amulet and how much he or she willingly to pay. Why some cheap why some expensive? This is because the cost varies from individual sellers. Imagine taking 2.5 hours to fly to Thailand and another 2-3hours to travel up and down that would mean a total of close to 10 hours are spent Travelling. The hiring of driver incurred cost as well so I would said we are also looking at different cost here: transport cost and time cost. And I can said those powerful Luang phor do not have many amulets left in temple. Reason being local and overseas market all travel to take from the same Luang phor. Got time to travel doesn't mean able to find the amulets he or she want. Cheap doesn't mean no good it just mean cost was low and able to get a competitive pricing rate.

To be continued ...

HornedGeek, Hong, AlvinSJL and 12 others like this.
  2. PC-Ken

PC-Ken Registered Member

Look forward to your article ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chriswm85 likes this.
  3. chriswm85

There's a saying which I heard from my Friend that people worry to buy expensive than about authencity of the amulet. In Thailand, collectors are more worry about collecting fakes than pricing. We can see they themselves will go for the simplest design like a copper rian and will be very happy to get one from a master. To them meeting a master is already very good and fortune already. All else are just extra bonus and some have much lesser attachments over collections. Imagine a copper coin amulet free of charge became a highly valued and able to worth 1,000,000 times more than the original value baht. Demand drive up the value of amulets. If the amulet is already rare and expensive in Thailand, it is unlikely that it will be cheap in overseas market. Meaning the amulets may have to be source from collectors which also contribute to the price hike. It is similar like every one queue up for the same delicious ban Chou noodles stall despite that each of us need to wait for average of 15-20 minutes.

To be continued ...

4. lubinhua

lubinhua Registered Member

True true... Singaporean more afraid of price then real or false. If not why so many ppl fall into scam for cheap iPhone...

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

chriswm85 likes this.
  5. natas

natas Registered Member

Like watching drama by episode.... eagerly waiting for next.

chriswm85 likes this.
  6. chriswm85

I believe all of us are aware that amulets originated from Thailand or some borders near Cambodia. So imagine an amulet got imported from Thailand to popular markets such as Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan, Malaysia, China (biggest client) and the rest of the world. A made 999 pcs amulet is consider less since it can be distribute all around the world. Every one want a share of the amulet. My last week visit to one of the famous temple at out of Bangkok 2 hours ride and the temple counter left only 2 materials for the same design. All other designs already out of stock. Just right outside the temple about 100 metres have amulet shops set up by individuals which is consider a private business. What I know is that this individuals ordered the amulets from temple for every new release, keep the popular and special ones, then put up for resale. So if one really a fan of this Luang phor, he or she has no choice but to buy from this private collectors. Price wise is definitely higher. Many Temples also display one roon Lek piece for show and understand many seek for the 1st Batch collections.

We now move on to the sub topic on"are amulets real/genuine"? The origins is when a master do everything by himself from the start to the end such as craving of mould, sourcing for materials and finally chanting for period of time. This days we have a tend like business people (individuals, amulet business owners) willingly to sponsor a master, make a batch of amulets and let master to bless for a period of time and release to devotees. Another trend is temple A prepare materials, make amulets and do a fund raising for temple B. Now strictly speaking this is still consider a release of work by temple A. Then lastly, this is not something buyers or collectors want is buying a made in factory amulet and never went through consecrate ceremony. This is the most headache issue and unless one have a detector to distinguish between real or fake.

To be continued ...

7. Eebros

Eebros Registered Member

Nice explanation bro, looking forward to the next articles

chriswm85 likes this.
  8. Melx

Melx Registered Member

Waiting for the sub topic...

9. low bh

low bh Registered Member

very well said

chriswm85 likes this.
  10. chriswm85

Real or fake? This is always a debating question. Getting from temple counter can also end up with remake batches especially if the demand is so strong until demand is more than supply. Thus, it result in a deficit and commercial people will make more as they see this as a business opportunity. This could be act of the committee members or private collectors who set up stalls to sell for profits and the direct temple is not involved in it. Temple did not take action against this group of people as they feel that it's more like a willingly buyer and seller thing. Buyer has the responsibility to do their own due diligence and find out whether is the source reliable.

One of the old primitive way is to go find a holy high monk and test out the amulet for power. The monk will chant with the amulet on hand and do some hand posture to detect if the amulet is real or not. I see this personally and some devotees were left in shock knowing that the thousand of sgd dollars that they got from famous ones end up to be indicate as no energy. Second way is for layman like us to start off with collecting amulets released in the recent years like 2556-59 to minimise the chance of ending up with replicates. Or start off studying the amulets first before buying the monk older amulet versions. Third way is to find a reliable dealer/collector who are able to prove that he/she went up all the way to find master and took some photos together.

Of course, this list can be endless ...

To be continued ...

11. jensen3112

jensen3112 Registered Member

That's a great question...real or fake...

Collecting amulets is unlike say watches or stamps...those hobbies...there are certain standards to adhere to...

For amulets, we are outsiders regardless of how many years you have been going to BKK, or even staying there...I can't name you one Singaporean or foreigner on the Sammakon Association Council...we have a couple of judges or collectors whom have the pedigree to be a judge in competitions...

Firstly let's separate main stream amulets from barang...barang is not recognised by the main associations what so ever...for main stream amulets, we have amulets where they have been recognised as evergreen due to their efficacy or the reputation of the master who consecrated the amulets...secondly we have the main stream amulets which are consecrated by monks who are currently still alive and we can get current batches directly from the temple and earlier batches are relatively assessable by all...

For either...it is important to learn about the background of the monk, and the reason why their amulets achieve the fame and reputation given...secondly learn any identification markings that one should use to identify the authentic ones from remakes...

Regardless of evergreen or current batches...many monks are not involved in the entire process of producing the amulets...for example, LP Toh Wat Pradoochimplee is very famous for his amulets but besides his first 13 Pim...He was not involved in the making of his other amulets but left it to Praku Viroj...nobody would doubt the efficacy of his amulets though...

It is important though to note that just because an amulet has the right markings and is authentic that you have an amulet that is easily rented back to Thailand on the off chance we want to change our preferences...many dealers have become unscrupulous...they will modify n repair the amulets condition till it looks mint...for example, recently King Rama 9 amulets are the rage after his passing...n many of the more famous batches have really took off in pricing ..which always leads to tampering of the condition...even my own search for a nice Rama 9 Rian unfortunately got me a piece which had been cleaned to make it look almost spotless for a 20 year old amulet...

Learning to differentiate a real vs remake is an important step one, but also learn how to see modifications, repairs and surface tampering...these all have effect on the commercial value of the amulet...

Long post...but hopefully it makes sense to any who drop by...

Sent from somewhere on the internet

Davo, AlvinSJL, weeyong88 and 7 others like this.
  12. PC-Ken

PC-Ken Registered Member

I like your write up and I think you made some very good points [emoji106]. It's a big business based on faith and insecurity and sad to say unscrupulous monks too

chriswm85 likes this.
  13. chriswm85

Real or fake could be just a fine line? Fake cert fake amulet happen! If something is too good to be true, one might really need to walk away. Let's just say if we see a iphone 7 going at $500 without teleco contract 128gb might just too good to be true.

Some will tell buyers that only they sell real while the rest sell fakes (this might not be true) to retain customers as one of their strategy. Not to deny that amulet market even got fake amulets which are new release. Some will go to a further extend of using comparison to educate customers to differentiate between real and fake. Its just different way of business strategy.

I will now cover on power of the amulets. I believe at certain understanding all of us who are reading this forum or thread believe in the power of the amulets which is why here is call Amuletforum. Monks made amulets with the intention of blessing the devotees with good luck and good protection. If we ever bring to a Luang phor and ask him which amulets he made powerful, he will tell you all batches made by him are equally powerful. That could make us scratch head to ponder but it does make logical sense that this is a correct answer because he had put in 101% effort in making each batch of his amulets. This is also a saying that I received from a friend who shared with me that an amulet is definitely good in regardless of which batch version. But why are there batches which are more favoured by collectors/wearers?

The fundamental function that each amulet should possess is Protection. We might be very comfortable with our life that we tend to forget our lives are the most valuable asset on earth. 1 life 1 you and if we died, we don't get to come back to life. Protection is an important factor that could save us from freak car accidents, robbery, natural disasters. An amulet that can save us close from death is a priceless one. When my Cousin met with a motor accident years ago, he thought he was going to die and crawl over to pick his amulet. He was holding the amulet tightly and praying that he will be alive before he fainted.

To be continued ...

weeyong88, inaseaofpeople and PC-Ken like this.
  14. Valen

Valen Registered Member

My analysis and I'm curious why Thai people hang amulets many we seldom see before or heard of...

chriswm85 and doctor46 like this.
  15. bei_ge_wang

bei_ge_wang Registered Member

Lp Pern?

16. Shoddy

Shoddy Premium Member Premium Member

Because many locals are not exposed to other monks and amulets of Thailand.

Davo, chriswm85 and Valen like this.
  17. chriswm85

Well, their locals have strong faith in their very own master and support their own master all the way from young to old.

EmbraceBuddhism and Valen like this.
  18. chriswm85

Heya it's been a Long time since the last update ~~ happy 2017!

Now today I received an enquiry over price rates issue. Yes, many of us like to compare price rates and try to get the best value out of what we can get. If seller A is selling at $100 while seller B is selling at $60, please don't expect seller A will drop to the price rate as seller B. It is never a good negotiation technique to get a good deal when you know seller A reliability is there. I can assure you that seller A will not join in price war. One should always put reliability and authencity as the priority in getting amulets.

There are Satellite agents who are sellers that get the amulets from a middle person and earn a living out from this. Many of times they themselves may not even know the reliability and authenticity of the actual source. Therefore, one is able to say they just take products and sell without knowing the full picture of the purpose of why the amulets were made or you can say they sell blindly. Even new amulets can end up in replicates/fakes due to the rising demand from the world globally. Doesn't mean no fake market for new amulets!

Next time, before any purchase, the first factor to consider is the authenticity of the amulet. Let me ask you if buy cheap end up with fakes, buy ex but the source is clear and authentic, which will you choose? I will rather pick ex option which gave me the assurance and peace of mind that what I'm getting is real. Real stuff will give results!

If price too good to be true, then most likely it is and the smart ones will choose to walk away the deal! Just my 2 cents point of view!

To be continued ...

Terryk, weeyong88 and AlvinSJL like this.
  19. EmbraceBuddhism

EmbraceBuddhism Registered Member

Many will still choose the former.

EmbraceBuddhism

chriswm85 likes this.
  20. Benson

Benson Registered Member

Provided the ex is not 杀人放火 的 ex :)....

chriswm85 likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)