[Let's Discuss & Share!] Finding time for dhamma studies

Discussion in 'General Buddhism' started by dande, 5 March 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dande

dande Suspended

Hi bros and Sis

Just wondering how you all spend time to do your dharmma studies. Some will chant when they are on the buses, some chant at midnight, how much time do you allocate, or its not a daily thing, and when you do meditation, is it daily? And what are you all studying in regards to the dharmma or is everyone just busy renting amulets? :heehee:

2. Rodin

Rodin Registered Member

Nice idea to start such a topic. It's always interesting to get to know more about meaningful connections in regard to the whole amulet thing; which is of course a good way to measure by Dhamma practice.
    It would have been nice if you introduced some more background information about yourself when opening this topic, so please be so kind to share your own approach in regard to Dhamma study :)

I myself study Buddhist Studies in University (I'm about to graduate in a few months from now), so the intellectual background has been established over the years you could say ;) I try to bring the theoretical side of it into practice as much as I can. Meditation I practice daily, but I found it not always neccesary to go and sit silently in meditation somewhere, instead it is also possible to practice continually where ever you go (like you said, even in the bus :))

For the rest, I prepare offerings for my altar twice a day; in the morning when I get up, and in the evening before having dinner..

Beside all that, I like to study sak yant and amulets in my spare time and to learn understanding it better in regard to the Dhamma.

3. dande

dande Suspended

Hi Rodin

Thank you very much for sharing. Most sorry that i didn't introduce more about my studies and the reason i started this topic is because i'm very new to the study of Buddhism and have done zero studies of it before except hearing teachings from my relatives... and until i visited AF, i didn't know about precepts, the different forms of buddhist teachings (mahayahna, therevada) ....

A good bro here introduce me to http://www.buddhanet.net/ but i'm finding it hard to find the time to go through the topics inside... and would just like to find out more about how others do their dharmma studies and what are they working on right now.

You do buddhist study in uni? In the Netherlands? Would you care to share some of the topics that you go through. Is it a religion degree.... that would be amazing.... to do a buddhist study. Will you be working in holland after that. haha sorry about so many questions and thank you again for answering.

4. dande

dande Suspended

Morning everyone. Got thanks but nobody sharing ah. I guess you all busy doing dhamma studies.... :hahahahaha:

5. Tohsan

Tohsan Registered Member

I am still learning my 1st dhamar lesson, reduction of ego slowly everyday, after more than 20 years study, i am still learning to reduce my ego, still on the 1st lesson and practice. :biggrin:

6. dande

dande Suspended

LOL :heehee::thumbs_up:

i know i got no hope after reading this. 20 years!

7. warlockSG

warlockSG Registered Member

i think this topic will prop up the question of "the karma fruits ripen earlier" theory

as in other thread discussion, if the karma fruits ripen earlier or ( fast and furious )
    can we take it?

we each have our own view points on this matter
    i shall share mine, it may not be true and only applicable to myself

i find that if we do our dhamma studies via meditation, chanting, do novice as a monk etc
    if the karma fruits ripen earlier, i find that it is a good thing

1) our approach to the dhamma is at the very least correct
    or else why would dhamma fruits ripen earlier?

2) our earlier good karma fruits had ripen allowing us to be born in singapore
    a country where we can continue to practise and do good deeds
    rather than born in africa where most people suffer from poverty and hunger, the immediate need is to survive and not cultivation

3) karma fruits ripen earlier means their effects is less disasterous
    i would think of it as a half ripe durian fallen on your head compared to a fully grown one
    the latter we may not survive

:D

8. dande

dande Suspended

LOLLLL @ warlock Sg, you are going off tangent a bit.

why now got fruit too, new ton coming soon? lolllllllllll i shall try not to comment and disrupt my own thread too much but thanks for sharing.

Anyway, you post up a link about a monk dhamma forest? So do you yourself sit down daily to read about dhamma or attend classes? How do you learn more about it? And do you meditate, how often?

9. warlockSG

its not going off tangent
    this topic will come up sooner or later

i meditate once in a while because i really dont have mucn time for it
    prehaps when i have my own personal space at my house, i can delicate more time to meditate

10. Tohsan

Tohsan Registered Member

You can! just follow a good guru/monk and prostrate to your guru as much as you can. When you prostrate to your teacher, when you prostrate to your teacher 3 times, you are saying you offer your ego and your pride from past, present and future to your teacher, and you will not challenge him, you will not talk about him, you will not blame him behind his back, you will not question or think negative thing about your teacher and you will surrender to Buddha teaching. Just follow the teaching honestly and faithfully. Very simple right? :biggrin:

11. p-regret

p-regret Registered Member

Erm...for beginners, it would be good to read from a diverse source of information. Books are freely available at certain temples like the toa payoh burmese temple, CCK temple, guang ming shan etc. Just make a small donation after taking a book because 1) Donations are good, encourage generosity 2) Chao Khun Nor said never take things for free :heehee:

For experts, there is a good way to understand the Dhamma, that is to practise mindfulness of bodily movements 24/7 - sleeping time, and to examine thoughts, are they good, neutral or bad and just let thoughts pass without attachment.

Of course I'm a noob at this so I prefer the former method, studying of Dhamma thru books.
    hahahahs. :D

12. atipattoh

atipattoh Registered Member

LIVE ON, LEARN!

When reading Tohsan post, I was almost going to write and luckily I read further:
    :heehee: I was almost writing something related to what you said. I guess the effect of the other thread has not worn out yet. :hahahahaha:

:biggthumpup1: to Tohsan method. It is a method that is measurable. When you can sense the metta flows in you by doing so, you have succeeded in the practice.

I shall discuss on a different perspective on letting go ego.
    Talking about ego, let’s take the example of the issue that many brothers posted in other thread sharing their experience of hardship; actually one lesson that they can never have another down to earth opportunity to learn is actually letting go of their ego. Hardship is the time that we learn to accept many experiences and in the process we let go of ego. Those that have wife may have to accept that fact that you have to let your wife’s little income to feed you until you are back on your feet. At times when you swallow the rice that your wife cooks with tears, you let go of your ego; making you understand how the poor survives on their little income. When we accept small financial help from brother, relatives and friends, we let go of our ego. Those that choose the shortcut to recovery would miss out such opportunity to let go of their ego. Not to say missing out as well the opportunity to improve their virtues on forbearance, acceptance, endurance, diligence & determination.
    This is the down to earth but bitter way to learn the path. When things get tough, it all depend on how do you take it; are you going to take it as the opportunity to practice the path? Down to earth practice allow you to let go of your ego not just towards those that you think more knowledgeable than you, you let go of your ego to those you think are less knowledgeable than you as well which is usually the hardest part.
    Not every hardship that we have to go thru is cause by the past karma. Many of the cases are the cause of the choice we make at present life. We just need to take it positively and learn in the real life encounter. We need to often sit down quietly and ask our self:
    “what have I learn today?”
    “what have I done better this time compare to the past similar scenario, have I improves?”
    “what have I learn when I look at myself at the end of each day?”
    “what have I learn from others?”
    “what knowledge have I shared with others?”
    LIVE ON, LEARN!

13. warlockSG

the effect of the other thread has not worn out yet

still feeling the aftershocks from the fruits, :hahahahaha:

14. warlockSG

again i beg to differ
    i am the more tradition type
    if everyone can learn from books, got masters line up from TPY to Jurong

its best to seek teachings from a master and reach a certain level before reading books

15. p-regret

if you don't read, how do you know what the master teaches is correct? :rolleyes2:

16. warlockSG

if you don't even know what is correct, how can you know the masters from the lunatics???

that why i advise to find a good teacher first, get the basic right and then advance through reading

17. p-regret

err hello, your former sentence is contradicting your previous post and your latter sentence, if you don't realise :hahahahaha:

18. p-regret

1. The TS is asking about the Dhamma, not some esoteric Taoist or secret Dark Arts. The Dhamma is found freely available, and the best sources is the Suttas which are historically linked to the Buddha. Study the Buddha's words first, then you can study from some Masters.

2. If you can't tell the masters from the lunatics, pray tell me how are you going to find a good teacher? You may have very well found a lunatic instead.

3. You should always depend on yourself first before depending on others, salvation is to be worked out by oneself in the end anyway. Why bother to be so reliant on others?

19. warlockSG

i personally find it is the same regardless of what you are learning

2. this is what every beginner faces, he has zero knowledge, cannot know who is the real deal. kinda a chicken and the egg question. if you don't learn from a teacher how you know what he teach is real or not. only by learning from alot of teachers, and then choosing the one you feel is right, the person can move on. i guess the best way is to find a reputable teacher

3. the teacher is only a guide. he can teach you the basics, the end result is up to you.

:smilie:

20. jag

jag Registered Member

Read well,my Sis,read well.First read on Buddha`s Four Noble Truth,reflect,contemplate n investigate on the Four Noble Truth till u`re completely satisfy till without a doubt on what BUDDHA said n whole heartily accept HIM as ur Tathagatha(teacher) n seek ur refuge in the Triple Gems.Followed by the Eight Noble Path,understand the needs and nobleness of these Path n upheld it diligently n in no time Dharmma will take it`s course n be review to u.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)