Conflicts in Buddhism (Controversial)

Discussion in 'General Buddhism' started by DarkMind, 23 March 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkMind

DarkMind Registered Member

I might post more next time. This is a controversial thread that may draw heated responses.

One of the issues in Buddhism is that for Shakyamuni Buddha --- who has already attained Nirvana --- can he still appear to people and communicate to them, or can he still hear our prayers?

In Buddhist circles, even monks disagree on this. And since some monks are respected teachers with followers, their followers don't like it if their teachers seem to be contradicted by the teachings of other Buddhist teachers or if their teachers prove to be wrong.

I think it is important to be able to admit one is wrong if one is really wrong, rather than to try to protect the reputation of the teacher involved, no matter how established. A Buddhist teacher and his followers should put the interests of Buddha over the interests of their own egos.

2. kunga

kunga Registered Member

Bro DarkMind, just to share with you the 1st 2 of the Vajrayana Vows, common in all 4 schools.

1) To disrespect or disparage the Guru. Here the Guru is most important and all siddhis (attainments) gained in this life and the next are due to him. One therefore, should always respect him most highly and never disparage him.
    2) To go beyond (to disobey the teaching of the Buddha. One should not disrespect or underestimate the Vinaya rules of the Buddha, thinking that they are not important.

3. Sikkha

Sikkha Registered Member

It good to discuss and debate so we can learn the truth but it's inappropriate if we start to condemn or criticize others especially the Sangha.

What is the teaching of Buddha?What benefit is there if you know all the answer to all issue?

4. Aero

Aero Registered Member

Ohhhh.....the benefits are, of course, immense....

Here is a few examples:

1) One will have great wisdom and no longer ignorant. Having wisdom is the best important;

2) One will have the correct view. Again, very important;

3) One knows true dhamma and can, thus, impart this knowledge so that countless sentient beings will benefit. They can be rescued from the dark;

4) One can gain awakening so that all our defilements can be eradicated. One will no longer suffer for countless lifetimes in samsara. This is the ultimate goal for Buddhists. etc.

5. swangboon

swangboon Registered Member

all religion or all beliefs are bound to create lots of arguements...especially difficult to produce solid proofs,so no point of argue,the dhamma also said one got to taste it oneself.....:fryingpan:

SANDITTHIKO ===== AKALIKO =====EHIPASSIKO=====OPANAYIKO

lIKE THE COMMON WORDS OF SINGAPOREAN

BELUM KENA BELUM TAHU

6. leica

leica Registered Member

who cares whether buddha can appear to you in person or not..

its time one strives to be a buddha himself.. than look for the buddha outside

7. drizzt

drizzt Registered Member

Bro Darkmind

I think your question is not precise because it encompasses a few questions rather than the 2 questions which you have tried to ask:

1. The attainment of Nirvana - Does it have any impact on whether Buddha can appear and communicate to people? If Buddha can do this before attaining Nirvana, then why should attainment of Nirvana as a state prevent him from doing so?

2. Are you saying it is the loss of ability to do so or the lack of need to do so thereafter? This is important because (1) whether he can (2) whether he will (3) whether he desires to (4) whether he should and (5) whether he needs to. All are separate questions altogether.

On your 2nd question:

1. Again, not sure how precise it is. Are you asking whether he can hear the prayers of fellow human beings or whether he will answer the prayers of fellow human beings? One thing is important to me: Hearing prayers and granting to them are 2 different things altogether. Buddha clearly will not grant every prayer he hears, only those that should be granted....haha

So think deeper before asking the question. Share a phrase of wisdom: 'Sometimes, the reason why we do not get the correct answers is because we do not know the correct questions to ask' :)

8. DarkMind

You are making my questions overly and unnecessarily complicated.

9. TakWeeChok

TakWeeChok Registered Member

You are making your questions overly and unnecessarily controversial.

First paragraph, albeit controversial, is still a constructive question. But the ones following are uncalled for - bringing up the potential disputes in fundamental beliefs of respected gurus and their followers - when none of us here are enlightened enough to able to comment fairly??? :fryingpan::fryingpan::fryingpan::fryingpan::fryingpan:

10. Sikkha

Sikkha Registered Member

What you said sound right but think it over again you will know you don't know what you are actually "talking" about.Please study more Dhamma and get to know better what actually is the teaching of the Buddha.

I only heard a parrot talking down here but I would prefer people like Phra Ajahn Mun or Jetsun Milarepa.

11. kunga

kunga Registered Member

This is your "Non Parrot like understanding" on Milarepa?:hahahahaha::hahahahaha::hahahahaha:

20th May 2009, 11:10 AM

20th May 2009, 11:53 AM
    You must be very gifted to be able to understand all his teaching in 3 days:thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

12. DarkMind

I do think my questions are overly or unnecessarily controversial. They are valid questions nonetheless, and beneficial to discuss them in a spirit of genuine learning.

Avoiding important topics of discussion just for the sake of avoiding controversial topics is not wise in my opinion.

13. DarkMind

I would like to add:

I asked those questions in good faith, and I don't wish people to be misled by inaccurate teachings.

Who are the so-called respected gurus you are talking about? Are we even on the same page here regarding those gurus? Maybe we respect those same gurus.

My opinion: that regardless of one's religion or lack of religion, the ability to ask valid questions in good faith should not discouraged. To avoid the answers to such questions or to discourage others from asking questions in good faith might be seen to be hiding something or being unable to back up one's assertions or teachings.

14. DarkMind

Typographical error here. I meant to say :"I do not think my questions are overly or unnecessarily controversial." They may be overly controversial to some, but they are not unncessarily controversial.

15. swangboon

swangboon Registered Member

hahaha bro Darkmind your question is just like the christian belief that jesus will come back again to preach them,but that sort of question always ???/ some say yes and some say no ?????????????????? so as we buddhist the best ways is follow the Kalama sutta.....and Dhamma taste it ourself with wisdom

16. TakWeeChok

TakWeeChok Registered Member

Inaccurate teachings? Who's teaching inaccurately here? And who here has the necessary wisdom to teach?

Who are the so-called respected gurus? Read your 1st post as quoted. I am referring to exactly those you mentioned. :cool2:

Who would discourage anyone to ask a question were to be asked in good faith? I wouldn't. Your first and second paragraphs are fine. Valid question, albeit controversial, but still will lead to constructive discussion. However, your 3rd paragraph seems to suggest that respected gurus and their followers are arguing not cos of their beliefs, but their egos. What an audacious claim!

By the way, next time, you need not PM me to ask if I have anything against you. I can tell you here. I don't know you, and I don't have anything against you. Just against the way you start threads and ask questions, thats all.

If you think that I ain't making sense, then take my words with a pinch of salt, and don't let it bother you then. :cool2:

17. kunga

kunga Registered Member

To all Bros, we are all here to learn n strengthen our faith in Buddhism. Let's keep the Harmony in this section/forum, Thank you for your understanding:smile:
    Thread closed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)